When you have an 8 am class and you’re waking up at 7:45, breakfast isn’t always the first thing on your mind. But with a pre-made breakfast such as overnight oats, you can just grab it and go to class. Making overnight oats may seem daunting at first, but with these simple rules you’ll be able to create the best overnight oats for every morning of the week.

1. Know your oats

tea
Spoon University

Believe it or not, there are many different types of oats out there: instant, steel-cut, and old fashioned rolled oats. In my experience, overnight oats work best when you use old fashioned oats (not too soggy, not too stiff–just right). 

2. Make sure you have a good ratio

chocolate, cream, sweet, coffee, milk, cake, pudding
Alixandra Rutnik

In order to make the best overnight oats, oat-to-liquid ratio is key. In terms of what liquid to soak your oats in, it's up to you–milk, yogurt, or any other dairy substitute is fine. However, it's best to keep your oat-to-liquid ratio 1:1.

3. Layer, layer, layer

granola, milk, cream, sweet, muesli, yogurt
Spoon University

By adding different layers, not only will your overnight oats be Insta-worthy, but it creates a whole new dynamic.  Each layer is a whole new adventure... okay, maybe that's a stretch. But still, creating layers keeps it interesting.

4. Add some fruit

bread, cinnamon, banana
Hailey Maher

Not only does it taste great, but adding some natural sugars will give you the energy boost you need to start your day.

#SpoonTip: Use frozen fruit while creating your overnight oats, that way it'll thaw out overnight and add flavor throughout.

5. Invest in a to-go container

popcorn
Spoon University

While there is no set rule as to what container is best to make your overnight oats in, it's worth it to invest in a container such as a mason jar or other Tupperware that you can easily take on the go.  

6. Dare to be innovative

meat, vegetable, rice
Weichen Yan

Don't be afraid to take some risks when making overnight oats. Since oats are so versatile, you can't go wrong. There are so many recipes out there for sweet overnight oats to savory overnight oats that you can have it every single morning and not get bored.

7. Give it some time

sweet
Spoon University

For best results, overnight oats should take about eight hours to fully soak, though there is no set rule on how long you must let it soak. So make them before you go to bed at night and you'll have a delicious, hearty breakfast to enjoy in the morning–no effort required.

8. Save some toppings for the morning

Cayley Crutchfield

Give your overnight oats an additional crunch by adding some fresh fruit or granola to the top. They won't be as soft as the rest of the layers in your oats.

9. Add a boost

chocolate, strawberry
Emily Head

Overnight oats are the perfect opportunity to add some extra protein, fiber, and vitamins into your diet. When making overnight oats, don't be afraid to experiment with different superfoods like goji berries, matcha, chia seeds, or protein power.

Overnight oats are the perfect solution for busy students. All the ingredients you need to make overnight oats can be found in the Spoon University Meal Plan, powered by Chef'd. Along with that, you'l receive ingredients to make many other healthy, low maintenance meals. 

#SpoonTip: If you order today, you'll get $20 off your order.