Spoon University Logo
Photos of Kennedy Dierks trying Tipsy Scoop and Kraken Rum\'s Ship Wrecked ice cream.
Photos by Kennedy Dierks for Spoon University
Reviews

I Tried Tipsy Scoop’s New Rum-Infused Ice Cream & It’s Perfect For Spooky Season

I love a margarita, Aperol Spritz, or gin & tonic as much as the next girl, but when I’m at the bar, I’m almost always opting for a rum & coke. Similarly, while I loved getting watermelon Sour Patch or gummy bears while trick-or-treating as a kid, I’m a chocolate girlie through and through. 

Luckily, we get the best of both worlds this autumn season, because a fan-favorite chocolate ice cream is getting a booze-y, Red Rum-style upgrade. Just in time for the Halloween season, Kraken Rum has teamed up with the New York-based boozy artisanal ice cream maker Tipsy Scoop to unveil a new limited-time offer, Kraken Ship Wrecked Boozy Ice Cream, available now through the end of October. Each 16-ounce pint of Kraken ice cream contains up to 5% ABV, ensuring a Halloween sweet treat that’s a little extra lit for those 21+. 

What does Tipsy Scoop’s new rum-infused ice cream taste like? 

Offering a new scoop on the iconic spooky rum, Ship Wrecked’s black cocoa ice cream is infused with Kraken Black Spiced Rum and flecked with white chocolate chip ‘bones’ and blood-red maraschino cherries. Given how much I love ice cream (and a good adult beverage), I figured it only made sense to taste-test Tipsy Scoop’s newest alcoholic dessert.

Upon first bite, I was pleasantly surprised by the creaminess of the obviously high-quality pint. I tasted rich cocoa, which was complemented well by the subtle bite and spice of the rum. I loved the added texture of the white chocolate chips and the sliced maraschino cherries, which allowed the cherry flavor to be evenly distributed without being overpowering.

Unlike Tipsy Scoop’s Guinness-infused Lucky Sundaes ice cream, I didn’t get the immediate taste of alcohol with Shipwrecked. With the Guinness ice cream, I had to tap out after just a few bites because of how much the ice cream tasted like beer. Instead, Shipwrecked was decadent and delicious without being overpowering, and the spiced rum was complemented perfectly by rich chocolate ice cream with a touch of cherry.

Where can I get Kraken Shipwrecked rum-infused ice cream?

If you like chocolate ice cream, and you like rum, and you’re over the age of 21, it’s safe to say that Ship Wrecked may be the perfect addition to your Halloween festivities. Available now wherever Tipsy Scoop is sold and by visiting Goldbelly.com while supplies last, this delightfully dark and delicious ice cream is here to add some spooky fun to your fall – even if you’re just enjoying a sweet treat. 

Kennedy Dierks is a National Contributor at Spoon University, and chapter president of Spoon at Seton Hall University in New Jersey. She covers all things food and has a soft spot for pop-culture moments, product launches, and the occasional cocktail. Beyond Her Campus, Kennedy plans to pursue medicine and currently works as a medical assistant and clinical researcher. She has written for Teen Vogue, ABC News, and Girl’s Life Magazine, in addition to a number of academic and scholarly journals. She recently graduated from Seton Hall University, where she majored in Biology and Religious Studies while minoring in Art History. Kennedy is currently pursuing a Master’s Degree at Seton Hall’s College of Interprofessional Health Sciences. Kennedy is a Taylor Swift aficionado who is convinced that a New Jersey bagel makes everything better. In her free time, she can be found teaching spin classes at the gym, playing the guitar, designing art for her Redbubble shop, or roaming the aisles of Trader Joe’s looking for her new favorite product.