Spoon University Logo
vanilla kit kat
vanilla kit kat
Photos by Kennedy Dierks for Spoon University
Reviews

I Tried The New Vanilla Kit Kat So You Don’t Have To

It’s a debate as old as time: chocolate or vanilla? Whether it’s cakes, ice cream, or even coffee, opinions can be divided. While I’m never not choosing chocolate over vanilla when it comes to a sweet treat, a survey from Innova found that 89% of American consumers love the vanilla flavor – and Hershey understood the assignment.

In May, Hershey sampled several new products at the National Confectioners Association’s 2024 Sweets & Snacks Expo – including the Reese’s Caramel Big Cup which garnered national attention following its Super Bowl ad. In addition to Hershey’s Crunchy Waffle Cone Bars and Sparkling Pineapple Mango Seltzer Ice Breakers Mints, Hershey also announced that Pink Lemonade (and a classic vanilla) would be joining the massive line-up of Kit Kat flavors come summertime.

It’s no secret that Kit Kats are my all time favorite candy. In 2022, I sampled the Blueberry Muffin Kit Kat, which (much to my surprise) immediately became my favorite flavor after the classic milk chocolate. I took one for the team and tried the Pink Lemonade Kit Kat when it was released this past June. While my allegiance lies in the chocolate variations (Dark Chocolate Minis have my heart), I love coming across a Green Tea Kit Kat in the wild, and I’m not opposed to Pumpkin Pie during the autumn season. Let’s be real: I’ll never turn down a Kit Kat (unless it’s covered in ketchup, sorry), but I’m a chocolate girlie through and through. Until now with the release of the vanilla Kit Kat

What does the new vanilla Kit Kat taste like?

Upon first bite, I had immediate flashbacks to vanilla sugar wafers of childhood ice cream shops, but the Kit Kat coating brought it to a whole new level. Rather than the sandpaper-y wafer cookies, it’s the perfect, classic, light and crisp wafers of a Kit Kat coated in sweet (but not too sweet) vanilla flavored crème.

Beyond the initial punch of nostalgia and a crispier wafer inside the Kit Kat, I tasted a very creamy coating that was very much like white chocolate, and it had a deliciously warm vanilla flavor that only tasted slightly artificial. 

Now, let me tell you how to level up. Yes, I did try this Kit Kat as soon as I got it, which may or may not have been at 10 a.m. when I was sipping my second cup of coffee. Just when I thought the Vanilla Kit Kat couldn’t get any better, I dipped it in coffee, and tasted what may have been the most perfect non-chocolate candy combination to ever cross my lips. Try it, and thank me later.

Where can I buy vanilla Kit Kats?

The best news of all? Kit Kat Vanilla is available now at nationwide retailers in standard and king sizes, and according to a press release from Hershey, the new addition to the Kit Kat product lineup is here to stay. While I’m always opting for chocolate over vanilla, I’m never saying no to this new Kit Kat flavor, because it may just take the cake. Or should I say wafer?

Kennedy Dierks is a National Contributor at Spoon University, and chapter president of Spoon at Seton Hall University in New Jersey. She covers all things food and has a soft spot for pop-culture moments, product launches, and the occasional cocktail. Beyond Her Campus, Kennedy plans to pursue medicine and currently works as a medical assistant and clinical researcher. She has written for Teen Vogue, ABC News, and Girl’s Life Magazine, in addition to a number of academic and scholarly journals. She recently graduated from Seton Hall University, where she majored in Biology and Religious Studies while minoring in Art History. Kennedy is currently pursuing a Master’s Degree at Seton Hall’s College of Interprofessional Health Sciences. Kennedy is a Taylor Swift aficionado who is convinced that a New Jersey bagel makes everything better. In her free time, she can be found teaching spin classes at the gym, playing the guitar, designing art for her Redbubble shop, or roaming the aisles of Trader Joe’s looking for her new favorite product.