Spoon University Logo
zucchini pasta
zucchini pasta
Photo by Stefanie Trepper for Spoon University
Recipes

Make The Most Of The Last Summer Harvest With This Zucchini Pasta

Although most people in the United States have access to zucchini year-round, its true season is May through August. As the summer comes to a close and produce is at its peak, capitalize on the bounty of summer zucchini. At many farmer’s markets this time of year, you can find various zucchini squashes in an abundance of shapes and sizes. Round zucchini, yellow zucchini, and the classic green zucchini abound this time of year. You can even find zucchini blossoms, which are completely edible and a tasty treat in and of themselves.

Zucchini, which are actually considered a fruit, are extremely healthy for you. They contain more potassium than a banana, as well as high amounts of vitamin A, vitamin C, fiber, and antioxidants. The entire zucchini plant is edible, including the skin and the seeds, which are small and unobtrusive. This is helpful when considering that zucchini can be eaten both raw and cooked. If you prefer the latter, keep in mind that zucchini is 95% water, so choose your cooking method wisely. Zucchini’s spongy interior releases water when it is heated and can turn mushy as a result. There are several methods that will help combat this. The first is to pat your zucchini dry before cooking it in order to remove excess moisture. The second is to slice and salt zucchini before cooking it in order to draw out some moisture. The third method capitalizes on zucchini’s sweet flavor. Cooking zucchini over high heat allows its natural sugars to caramelize. This method creates a natural barrier around the cooked zucchini, sealing it in moisture before it gets soggy.

Roasting or frying zucchini are two cooking methods that allow sliced zucchini to caramelize, expel some of its water content, and concentrate its fresh, sweet, green flavor. The healthier method of the two, roasting, is utilized in this summer zucchini pasta recipe. This dish is rich in summer flavors with added basil, and it can be easily altered to accommodate vegans by including cashew cream and nutritional yeast in lieu of butter and cheese. This dish is delicious, hot, or at room temperature, which makes it a perfect candidate for an al fresco or picnic lunch, allowing you to spend more time out of the kitchen to soak in the last days of summer.

Summer Zucchini Pasta

Difficulty:BeginnerPrep time: 30 minutesCook time: 10 minutesTotal time: 40 minutesServings:8-10 servings

Instructions

1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
  2. Slice the zucchini into ⅛ inch coins and coat with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Toss to coat all of the zucchini coins. Reserve any remaining olive oil in the bowl.
  3. Place a piece of parchment paper or aluminum foil on a baking sheet. Arrange the zucchini in rows until the baking sheet is full. Do not overcrowd the pan, or your zucchini will steam. Roast the zucchini for 30 minutes or until it becomes slightly golden brown. Be careful not to burn it. You will need to cook the zucchini in several batches or use multiple baking sheets.
  4. Remove the zucchini from the baking sheet and place it inside the bowl with the reserved olive oil. Add 1 cup of the Parmesan cheese to the zucchini, mix, and incorporate it all together.
  5. Make the pasta according to the package directions, reserving a cup of the starchy pasta water.
  6. Add the cooked pasta to the zucchini and mix. Add the provolone cheese and mix again. Add pasta water, ¼ cup at a time, to create a silky sauce. Keep the sauce thick to avoid watering the dish down. Mix in the butter.
  7. Finish the dish with the remaining Parmesan, basil, and salt and pepper to taste.

Notes

• Provolone cheese comes in different degrees of sharpness. Ask for provolone that is labeled ‘picante’.
Keywords:30 Minutes, Basil, Budget, Dinner, Dinner Recipes, Healthy, Local, Pasta, Summer
Stefanie Trepper is a freelance contributor to Spoon University in New York City, where she is a recipe tester and developer. As a culinary student, she focused on developing nutritious, budget-friendly, and adaptable recipes to accommodate various diets and food allergies. She is committed to sourcing healthy, local, and seasonal foods and is a contributor and volunteer at her local organic cooperative community garden. Stefanie studied in Provence, France, where she learned about sustainable farming and cooking practices. During her study in France, Stefanie developed relationships with local farmers and purveyors and utilized seasonal, locally sourced foods. Concurrently, she worked in a restaurant, which earned a green Michelin star for sustainability under a two Michelin-starred chef. Stefanie has previously worked as both an educator and an administrator and used food and cooking to bridge cultural connections. A graduate of Colby College, she is passionate about environmental studies and earned a B.A. in Art History. She also holds a Master's Degree from The Bank Street College of Education and an advanced leadership certificate from Harvard University. In her free time, Stefanie enjoys traveling, learning the Italian language, entertaining friends for dinner dates, and spending time with her husband and two children. She also enjoys listening to her favorite true crime podcasts and playing with her two rescued cats. Stefanie is a horror movie buff and considers Halloween (1978) one of the best horror movies of all time. A lover of New York City, Stefanie loves exploring new neighborhoods, perusing ethnic markets, and finding new dishes and cuisines to replicate at home.