Vegan chocolate chip muffins kind of sounded weird to me at first considering I'm not a vegan. I always thought it would be impossible for me to go vegan. 

However, after I cut back on my intake of processed foods for a week, I realized I was eating mostly vegan anyway. That's when I started to get interested in vegan foods.

I thought the limitations of being vegan would be too much for me to handle, but only now am I really realizing how many options available there are for vegans. A vegan lifestyle doesn't have to be boring at all—just take a look at these vegan Instagram accounts to see why.

There are so many simple ways to substitute animal products out of your diet, especially in recipes, and you'll hardly even be able to taste the difference.  

This vegan chocolate chip muffin recipe is so easy to make and only requires a couple of substitutions from your average chocolate chip muffin recipe. It's one tasty breakfast treat you're not going to want to miss out on.

Vegan Chocolate Chip Muffins

• 1 tablespoon flaxseed meal or chia seeds
  • 3 tablespoons water
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 pinch salt
  • 5 tablespoons packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup almond milk
  • 3 tablespoons almond butter
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 3/4 cups nondairy chocolate chips
muffin, candy, pastry, cake, goody, sweet, cookie, chocolate
Angela Kerndl

Mix together the tablespoon of either flaxseed meal or chia seeds and water. This will be used in place of an egg. Let the mixture sit while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.

bread, salt
    Angela Kerndl

Preheat the oven to 350°F. In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Mix in the brown sugar. Then add the almond milk, almond butter (any nut butter will work), vanilla extract, and the egg substitute. Mix thoroughly and add in the chocolate chips.

cake, cream, chocolate
    Angela Kerndl

Line the muffin tin and spoon in the dough. Add additional chocolate chips to the top of each muffin.

goody, candy, sweet, pastry, cake, cookie, chocolate
    Angela Kerndl

Place them in the oven for about 20 minutes. Serve and enjoy!

butter, chocolate, peanut, peanut butter
    Angela Kerndl

The only ingredients I had to go out of my way to purchase were the almond milk and non-dairy chocolate chips. However, if you're a vegan, you will likely have everything you already need in your kitchen.  

I made these muffins quickly before class and it put me in such a good mood, because cooking actually makes you feel better. I was also surprised at how good they tasted. Whether you're vegan or not, you will surely enjoy these vegan chocolate chip muffins.