If you live in the UK, you might be familiar with Askeys Crackin' Sauce (formerly known as Ice Magic). In the US, this kind of delicacy is best remembered as Magic Shell. The magical chocolate setting sauce was all the rage from the 80s onwards, providing a deluxe ice cream experience from the comfort of one's own home. Although its popularity has decreased in recent years, Askeys continues to be sold in most major supermarkets. The downside? Aside from containing ingredients you can't pronounce, it's also made with palm oil, which has gained increasing media attention due to its impact on deforestation. However, a solution lies ahead: a DIY version of your favourite shattering sauce, completely customisable and affordable. Pair it with some Oppo ice cream for a truly luxurious experience!

Chocolate Setting Sauce

• 100g chocolate
  • 3 dessertspoons coconut oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon natural extract
  • Ice cream
Rebecca Salter

Break your chocolate into bite-sized pieces and place in a large bowl over a pan of simmering water. Add the coconut oil and allow to melt for ten minutes, stirring occasionally.

SpoonTip: While it might be tempting to use your microwave, melting the oil over water (known as a bain-marie) is far safer and won't affect the structure of your coconut oil.

Rebecca Salter

Once the mixture starts to combine, add your extract of choice and stir to incorporate. I went for American Peppermint and Madagascan Vanilla.

SpoonTip: If you don't have any extract, flavoured chocolate works well too. Remember not to overpower the sauce—you want it to complement the ice cream, not overshadow it!

Rebecca Salter

Remove the mixture from the heat and pour over your ice cream of choice (I chose the Spoon-approved Oppo in Mint Chocolate Swirl and some non-dairy Ben & Jerry's in Chocolate Fudge Brownie).

SpoonTip: Choosing a healthier ice cream such as Oppo or Halo will help reduce the calorie overload and keep you from feeling too bloated afterwards.

Rebecca Salter

Add some optional extras if desired, such as sprinkles, chocolate stars, or even the remnants of your chocolate bar. Watch as the chocolate sets in place, and enjoy! If you're eating solo, store your sauce at room temperature and save it for later (remember to reheat it over your bain-marie to melt the mixture!).

Rebecca Salter