We’ve all drooled a little bit over the camembert bread bowl doing its rounds on Facebook. Pair this with one friend facing a strong fondue withdrawal and the other a new vegetarian who still dreams of rotisserie chicken, we found this was our calling. However, when telling your friends and family you’ve just devoured an entire camembert in two minutes flat, you’re faced with distain.

#SpoonTip: Maybe try and avoid doing this as personal experience tells you’re highly likely to feel sick.

So, we clearly needed a variation to make nutritionists happy and if throwing some fruit into oozy, gooey, melted cheese counts then we’re there (a girl can dream, right?). This recipe can double as a romantic meal for 2, but should probably (definitely) be an appetizer for 4.

Camembert Bread Bowl

• Prep Time:10 minutes
  • Cook Time:20 minutes
  • Total Time:30 minutes

• 1 camembert
  • 1 round bread loaf
  • 1 handful rosemary
  • 1 handful thyme
  • Olive Oil
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  • 1 apple
  • 1 pear
  • 2 teaspoon honey
  • 1 tablespoon cranberry sauce
Photo by Carla Neiss

Pre-heat the oven to 360 fahrenheit.

Cut a circle the size of your cheese into the centre of the bread and put the cheese in it.

#SpoonTip: Put aside the excess bread for dipping. 

Photo courtesy of flickr.com

Cut a cross into the top of the cheese and add the herbs into the cuts. Add a pinch of salt and pepper, then drizzle with olive oil.

Photo by Carla Neiss

Place the cheese into the oven for 20 minutes. Add the bread strips just before its done to make them crispy.

#SpoonTip: Make sure the cheese doesn’t cook for too long as it will go hard.

Cut the pears and apples into small wedges for dipping.

Photo by Carla Neiss

Remove the camembert from the oven and drizzle it and the bread with honey. Serve with cranberry sauce and fruit. Happy dipping!

Photo by Carla Neiss