I am very happy to announce that after a long, steamy summer, we are knee deep in possibly the most beautiful time of the year: Fall. 🍂 Thick, comfy scarves are getting snagged out of closets, the leaves are changing and falling, and everyone everywhere is grabbing their pumpkin spiced lattes. In honor of fall, I've put an autumn spin on everyone's favorite type of recipe: A mug cake recipe! Based on the classic "3-2-1 mug cake recipe" you can find ALL over Pinterest, this spiced apple mug cake will having you FALLing (haha) in love with the warm, spicy flavors of the season. Not only is it delicious and the perfect "dessert for one," but it's a great way to use up those last few apples you bagged out apple picking, too! 

Getting hungry yet?! Grab your favorite mug and get ready for the only mug cake recipe you'll need this season. 

Spiced Apple Mug Cake

• 1 box angel food cake mix
  • 1 box spiced cake mix
  • 4 tablespoons water
  • 1 small-to-medium apple
  • 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
  • Non-stick cooking spray
Lexi Shepherd

Pick out an adorable mug for your mug cake (the most important step, obviously!) You might want to adjust the recipe amounts ever so slightly to fit in a smaller mug than mine or to fill a larger mug than mine (see my choice below). #SpoonTip: The bigger your mug, the more cake you can fit in there!

Lexi Shepherd

Peel the apple's skin and cut it into small cubes. Red apples are typically crowned the best for baking, but feel free to use whatever you have on hand! A Granny Smith apple like mine will help cut through the sugar in all that cake with a little tartness.

Lexi Shepherd

Spray the bottom of a saucepan with a bit of non-stick cooking spray and set the stovetop to a medium heat. Add the apples and cinnamon to the saucepan and cook approximately 10-12 minutes, or until they are tender enough to be pierced with a fork. Feel free to add more or less cinnamon, or even try some other fall spices, such as nutmeg - whatever suites your taste!

Lexi Shepherd

While the apple cubes cook, prepare your mug cake mix by thoroughly mixing together a box of angel food cake mix and a box of spiced cake mix in a large bowl. You only need a small portion of the overall mix, but hey, that just means more mug cakes for later!

Lexi Shepherd

Mix 6 tablespoons of your spiced angel food cake mix with 4 tablespoons of water in your mug. Be sure to scrape the bottom and grooves within your mug to make sure the dry mix and water are thoroughly incorporated.

Lexi Shepherd

Once the apples are cooked, gently fold them into your mug cake batter. #yum 😍

Lexi Shepherd

Finally, it's time to microwave this beauty! Microwave your mug cake for approximately 1 & 1/2 minutes, or until you can stick a knife in the center and it comes out clean.

Lexi Shepherd

And there you have it! The only mug cake recipe you'll need this fall season, my spiced apple mug cake. All that's left to do is dig in!  This mug cake would be finished off perfectly with one last dusting of cinnamon or other warm spices, or even by adding a dollop of whipped cream! If you feel like going big, go on ahead and add a scoop of vanilla ice cream to the top while it's still hot from the microwave. 

I hope this mug cake recipe becomes as much of a favorite for you as it is for me. Bon appétit! 🍴