Brownies can range from rich and dense to light and soft, but this recipe just goes to show that the best brownies are the ones infused with red wine. Worried about getting drunk? Not a problem! When you bake the red wine brownies, the heat will actually cook off the alcohol.

This red wine brownie recipe harmoniously combines the natural sweetness of red wine with the rich bitterness of dark chocolate. Red wine brownies aren't the overly sweet kind that you can find at a supermarket—the incorporation of alcohol adds a level of sophistication to the generic brownie.

Danielle Chen

Brush up on your wine etiquette by learning the difference between red and white wine. Explore other wine hacks to try out with these wine brownies.

Red Wine Brownies

• 1/3 cup red wine
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1/4 cup dark chocolate
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 cup cocoa powder
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • a pinch cinnamon optional
  • a pinch black pepper optional
  • a pinch cayenne pepper optional
Danielle Chen

Preheat oven to 370°F. Assemble all ingredients.

Danielle Chen

Melt chocolate and butter in a microwave for about 45 seconds.

Danielle Chen

Mix chocolate and butter together. Heat for additional intervals of 10 to 15 seconds if chocolate is not completely melted. Make sure not to overheat or burn chocolate.

Danielle Chen

Add sugar and whisk until sugar is dissolved.

Danielle Chen

Whisk in egg. Don't worry about over mixing at this step until you add in the flour.

Danielle Chen

Add in cocoa powder, vanilla, and baking powder and optional spices. Whisk until combined.

Danielle Chen

Pour in red wine and whisk until mixture is homogeneous. Batter should be thinner like a crepe batter.

Danielle Chen

Sprinkle in flour and fold into batter until flour is just combined. Avoid ovemixing batter in this step.

Danielle Chen

Pour batter into a greased pan and bake for 20 to 30 minutes until brownies look set.

#SpoonTip: Use a toothpick to test for readiness. Poke the brownie and if the toothpick comes out clean or with some crumbs, the brownies are ready.

Danielle Chen

Take brownies out of oven and set pan on a rack or counter-top. These brownies can be served right away or when they are cooled. They can be stored at room temperature for a few days.

#SpoonTip: Cool brownies completely before eating so that the crust on top of brownies will get crispy and caramelized as the sugar cools.

Danielle Chen

This brownie is game-changing. With the first bite, your teeth sinks through the caramelized and cracked top into the chewy center. Beyond its texture, the brownie is unique in its complexity of flavors. The red wine paired with the sprinkling of cayenne and black pepper brings new dimensions to the typical brownie. Incorporating wine into any dessert is a solid move to up your culinary delights. Follow the red wine trend with red wine chocolate cake, or even raspberry wine truffles