Wine typically isn’t the alcohol of choice at college parties, but students love it nonetheless. Whether it’s the two-buck chuck you bought for your bougie wine and cheese night or the nice bottle your parents got you for your 21st birthday, drinking wine is the epitome of class when you’re in school. If you’re a wine snob, try out some of these wine hacks to enjoy your alcohol of choice even more.

Chill it quickly

beer, oil, jug, white wine, pour, pouring wine, mason jar, wine in mason jar

To chill your wine quickly, dampen a towel and wrap it around the bottle. Then, pop it in the freezer for 15 minutes, and pour your now chilled wine into your favorite glass.

Prevent sparkling wine from bubbling over

champagne, wine, toast
Lucy Carlisle

To prevent your favorite bubbly from spilling over the rim of your glass, pour at a 45º angle, then tilt the bottle upright when the glass is almost full.

#SpoonTip: Have leftover sparkling wine on your hands? Make sure you store it correctly to keep it bubbly.

Use old wine in cooking

rice, vegetable, meat, risotto, sauce
Meredith Davin

I’m not much of a wine drinker, but I love cooking with it. Red wine that’s been on your counter for a few days pairs perfectly with red sauces and stews, whereas white wines work best in lighter sauces for fish and vegetables.

Forget the corkscrew

wine, alcohol, liquor, beer, red wine, champagne
Alex Frank

There are a few tricks you can use to open a wine bottle without a corkscrew, ranging from scissors to a bike pump. When in doubt, use whatever you have on hand to shove the cork down into the bottle.

#SpoonTip: If you often find yourself in need of a corkscrew, I’d recommend buying screw-top bottles in the future.

Pour wine through a coffee filter

wine, alcohol, liquor, ice, red wine, juice, cocktail
Alex Frank

If the cork breaks while you’re trying to get it out, pour the wine through a coffee filter to stop any cork bits from getting into your glass. It’s much easier than fishing it out with a spoon.

Use frozen grapes as ice cubes

grape, wine, pasture, berry
Alexandra R

There are few things in life as disgusting as watered down wine. To preven this, use frozen grapes instead of ice cubes to keep your wine chilled. Once they thaw, they’ll soak up some of the wine and leave you with little alcoholic bites you’re sure to love.

Stretch a bottle by making sangria

juice, ice, cocktail, lemonade, sweet, apple, tea, iced tea
Rebecca Buchanan

Drinking on a budget? Make your bottle of wine go further by making a pitcher of sangria. All you need is a little liquor, a bottle of wine (white or red works here), and some sliced fruit of your choosing. Sangria keeps well for a few days, so there’s no rush to finish it right away.

#SpoonTip: Some fruits taste better than others when infused with alcohol. Be careful what you put in your sangria.

Your wine and cheese night just got a lot better with these genius wine hacks. Practice a few of these hacks on your friends, then wow your family with your perfected skills. You learn so many things in college, don’t you?