Officially created in 1964, Nutella has become one of the most beloved spreads in the world. With a Nutella Bar in Eataly and countless other dedicated restaurants, the fan-favorite spread was conceived in a tiny Italian town and has since expanded to over 160 countries.

Although Nutella is extremely popular, it is loaded with sugar. Luckily, this recipe steals the flavor we all know an love from Nutella, but leaves the added sugar in the jar for a healthy, vegan option.

Because the Nutella tart is made with cacao nibs, this good-for-you dessert provides loads of fiber, antioxidants and magnesium. While it is super healthy, this cashew-crusted tart also tastes unreal.

BEWARE: This vegan tart is highly addictive.

Vegan Chocolate-Hazelnut Tart

• Prep Time:1 hr
  • Total Time:1 hr 30 mins

• 1 tsp coconut oil for greasing tart tin
  • 2 cups cashews
  • 1/4 tsp salt for crust
  • 3 tbsp maple syrup
  • 1 tbsp vanilla extract
  • 1 cup cacao nibs
  • 1 cup hazelnuts
  • 1/4 tsp salt for filling
candy, mousse, pie, pastry, cake, sweet, cream, chocolate
Phillip Massey

Gather ingredients and start cookin'...good lookin'.

chestnut, vegetable, pasture, hazelnut, nut
    Phillip Massey

Take the tart tin and grease it with your coconut oil. Preheat your oven to 350°F.

coffee, pizza, tea, cake
    Phillip Massey

Throw the cups of cashews and 1/4 tsp salt in the food processor, and process until the mixture is sticky enough to form a crust. Do not process for too long or it will turn into cashew butter.

cake, espresso, chocolate, coffee
    Phillip Massey

Once the mixture is ready, transfer it to the greased tart tin, and form it into a crust.

flour, cake, cream, pie
    Phillip Massey

Next, it's time to roast. Transfer the hazelnuts and cacao nibs on separate baking sheets. Roast the nibs for about 16 minutes or until your kitchen smells like brownies. After you remove those, roast the hazelnuts for about 14 minutes or until you can see the nuts browning.

cake, chocolate
    Phillip Massey

After you've cleaned the cashew crust off of the processor, throw the nibs in and grind until completely smooth.

chocolate
    Phillip Massey

While this is happening, you can remove the skins from the roasted hazelnuts. This step is optional, but it tastes much better without the skins.

legume, hazelnut, cereal, garbanzo, chickpeas, nut
    Phillip Massey

Once the nibs are completely liquid, transfer the liquid (what is now 100% dark chocolate) to a bowl and set aside.

Now, complete the following steps quickly, or the cacao mixture will dry into solid dark chocolate.

sauce, caramel, chocolate
    Phillip Massey

Now, while the dark chocolate is set aside, transfer the hazelnuts to a cleaned food processor, and process until smooth hazelnut butter is produced.

coffee, espresso, chocolate
    Phillip Massey

Once the nut butter is produced, quickly pour in half of the chocolate mixture into the processor, and process with the hazelnut butter. Don't throw the rest of the chocolate out! Make dark chocolate with it, or use it in another recipe (look below for a chocolate recipe).

chocolate
    Phillip Massey

Now, add in the rest of the ingredients, but add the maple syrup in last. Once the syrup is added, the mixture will probably curdle and clump up. Don't worry, this is supposed to happen.

chocolate, cake
    Phillip Massey

Once all of the ingredients are incorporated, transfer the chocolate-hazelnut mixture to the cashew crust, and spread it to fill the tart tin. Flatten the top to ensure that the tart filling is level and smooth.

crust, sweet, tart, chocolate, pie
    Phillip Massey

Now, that the tart is filled, transfer the tart to the freezer to set up.

Optional step (after 15 minutes): Cut off excess crust to improve the aesthetic of the dessert.

pie, chocolate
    Phillip Massey

When ready to serve, wait until thawed (10 minutes or so) and enjoy!

cheesecake, pie, chocolate
    Phillip Massey

(The chocolate you saved from Step 10 can be used in another recipe, which also uses cacao nibs.)

This sugarless tart to my favorite Italian spread is satisfying, yet highly addictive. Don't fret though, its many health benefits provide the perfect excuse for eating seven pieces at a time.

This healthy tart will bring you back to the days when you shamelessly  spooned Nutella into your mouth, but this grown up version brings so benefits to be seriously proud of. 

As I have already eaten five pieces while writing this article, this tart is one of my favorite go-to desserts. So, eat up boys and girls!