As I was perusing through Spoon University recipes, I noticed something strange: the absence of a single seitan recipe. But what is seitan? Otherwise known as "wheat meat," seitan is a meat substitute made of wheat gluten and various other ingredients, depending on the recipe. 

Let's dive into this awesome seitan recipe:

Buffalo/BBQ "Chik'n" Sandwiches

• Prep Time:1 min

• 1 can Navy Beans
  • 1 tbsp Garlic Powder
  • 1 tsp Salt
  • 1 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
  • 3 tbsp Nutritional Yeast
  • 1 tsp Zaatar or Oregano
  • 1 tsp Thyme
  • 1 cup soy milk
  • 1.5 cups Vital Wheat Gluten Flour
  • Frank's Red Hot Sauce
  • 6 Bagels
  • 1 tbsp Oil
  • 1 Onion
  • 1.5 cups mushrooms
  • 1 cup Spinach/Kale
  • 1-Minute Ready Oats
  • 1 tbsp ketchup
  • 1 tbsp vegan mayonnaise
Phillip Massey

If raw/dried navy beans, soak for 12 hours (or overnight), then boil for 30 minutes to soften as much as possible. If canned, boil for 15 minutes to soften as much as possible.

Phillip Massey

Mash beans in pot, then transfer to mixing bowl. Add in the garlic powder, salt, apple cider vinegar, thyme, zaatar (or oregano), nutritional yeast, and soy milk. Mix thoroughly to create homogeneous mixture.

Phillip Massey

Once the mixture is homogeneous, add the vital wheat gluten and mix until a dry dough forms. Knead for 10 minutes to create elasticity in gluten (this will make the seitan more firm), and add more gluten flour when dough gets sticky.

Phillip Massey

Once the dough is ready create 1/2 inch thick patties with a diameter of about 4 inches and height of about 1 cm. Set patties aside, and simmer (not boil) a pot of water 2 inches high. Once simmering, add patties 1-2 at a time so long as the water covers them completely. Cook them in water for 10 minutes or until floating, then remove and set aside. Repeat for the rest of the patties.

Phillip Massey

While patties are cooking in the water, pour out the oats onto a plate so that the oats may be pressed into the seitan. Once the patties are cooked, dip and press into the oats. Make sure the patties are wet when pressing, or else the oats won't stick.

Phillip Massey

Once all of the patties are dipped in batter and rolled into the oats, place in 450° F oven for 15 minutes, or until oats brown. Ensure that the patties do not rise like bread. If they do, remove immediately. Once ready, toss the "breaded" patties in a bowl of hot sauce or barbecue sauce. Then, place back to oven for 5-10 minutes.

Phillip Massey

Sauté onions and mushrooms in oil, and top patties with raw kale/spinach and cooked onions/mushrooms. Mix ketchup and vegan mayo to create "secret" sauce, and smear on top bun.

Phillip Massey

Assemble sandwiches and enjoy! Or wrap up and store away in the refrigerator for later use. This recipe is fantastic for Meal Prep.

Phillip Massey

Now that you've made these fantastic sandwiches, enjoy every little bite... because as Ferris Bueller eloquently put it, "Life moves pretty fast."

Warning: these sandwiches are highly addictive.