I’m the girl who brings an unnecessary amount of snacks to the library. I also bring a snack with me to almost every class or meeting I attend, just to keep myself occupied and to avoid any feelings of hangriness (hangry = hungry + angry). But at school, it’s hard to keep snacks on hand that are both healthy and tasty. It seems like either they expire in a few weeks or just simply aren’t convenient to eat on the go. These chocolate peanut butter protein bites combine the best of all the worlds.

My version of this recipe calls for PB2 peanut butter, a stop on my quest to find the best healthy peanut butter. PB2 is powdered peanut butter that boasts 85% less fat and calories than regular peanut butter. While I am not really concerned about fat and calories, I’m always concerned about sugar, and PB2 has absolutely none. Since this recipe already has a little sugar from the honey, I chose to cut out any other sources of sugar and use PB2 instead. Feel free to use whatever peanut butter you’d like, though.

Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Protein Bites

• 1 cup oats
  • 8 tablespoons PB2 peanut butter
  • 4 tablespoons water
  • 1/2 cup ground flax seed
  • 2-3 scoops vanilla protein powder
  • 1 tablespoon chia seeds
  • 1/2 cup chopped dark chocolate or chips
  • 1/3 cup honey
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
sweet, candy, chocolate
Carly Koemptgen

Combine PB2 and water.

Combine all ingredients.

tea, cinnamon, truffle, coffee, chocolate
    Carly Koemptgen

Form into balls + freeze.

These keep in the freezer FOREVER (don’t quote me on that, but they seriously lasted me a whole semester) and make a great snack any time. They’re pretty tasty frozen, but you could also easily thaw a few to keep in the fridge for a week. Like I said before, you can add and take out whatever you like to make these your own.

This recipe was originally posted on my personal blog. Want more? Check it out here.