College can be a tough time. At some point, everything seems so endless and tiring: classes, homework, social life, activities, clubs, internships — there is a lot of stuff going on.

One day, I was feeling gloomy and homesick so I called my mom to ask her for a recipe for a sweet snack I used to eat during my childhood — I was feeling very nostalgic. She gave me the recipe to make a Brazilian coconut treat called beijinhos de coco.

Now, I've never been a master in the kitchen, but the outcome was so unbelievably good. Anyone looking to try a new tasty treat should make this recipe. A good way to relax and jazz up your college routine is to cook. Beijinhos de coco are really simple, quick, and cheap sweet pleasures.

Beijinhos de Coco

• Medium saucepan preferably a non-stick one
  • Wooden spoon
  • Small paper ramekins
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 1 can condensed milk
  • 150g shredded coconut
  • Butter
chocolate, cauliflower, rice, sweet
Giulia Baldini

Take the saucepan and put the whole can of condensed milk, shredded coconut and the egg yolk in. Mix all of them together to make the dough for the “beijinhos.”

tea, egg, dairy product, milk
    Giulia Baldini

Put the saucepan with the mixture on the burner. Light the burner on low power and stir the mixture with a wooden spoon. Don't stop until it becomes hard and compact.

butter, bread, flour, cake, sweet, dairy product
    Giulia Baldini

Once hardened, switch off the burner. Take the saucepan off and let the dough cool for about 15-20 minutes. You can store it in a fridge if that helps.

cereal, sweet, rice
    Giulia Baldini

With butter-greased fingers, take out the cooked-harden dough and start dividing it into little pieces to make small balls.

coconut, chocolate, rice, sweet
    Giulia Baldini

When you are done making the balls of dough, place them on a tray, or on a table, and put each of them inside the ramekins.

If you happen to not have the ramekins or any other cup-cake paper type, don't worry: just make sure to store them in a safe, fresh and clean place.

gnocchi, corn, cereal, popcorn, candy, vegetable, sweet
    Giulia Baldini

If you want to add a scent to the beijinhos you can place a small clove on top of each of them. If you are a coconut lover, feel free to roll the beijinhos into some shredded coconut. Use butter to help the coconut pieces stick on the balls.

Try other sweets ideas from 3 Ridiculously Easy Sweets You Can Make in Your Dorm Room. They will definitely pump up your college routine. Bon appetit!