Though dessert shouldn't (ever) make you feel guilty, have you been looking for a healthier alternative to satisfy your sweet tooth cravings? Search no further. These gooey, fudgy, black bean brownies are the answer to your nagging stomach pains. Did I mention that they don’t contain any flour, butter, eggs, or sugar? So, what’s the catch? What ingredients makes these babies better, tastier, and healthier than boxed alternatives? The secret is Mother Nature’s all-natural ingredients: sweet potatoes, black beans, maple syrup, and coconut oil. Who knew that healthy could taste so good?

Fudgy Sweet Potato-Black Bean Brownies

• 1 can unsalted black beans drained and rinsed
  • 1 medium-sized roasted and mashed sweet potato
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
  • 1/3 cup virgin coconut oil or MCT oil
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup organic cacao powder
  • 1 bar 72%-85% dark chocolate bar cut into small chunks or 3 oz. dark chocolate chips
Danielle Orie
Danielle Orie

Instructions:

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees, and line a baking pan with foil.

2. Poke the sweet potato a few times with a fork, then place on top of the tray. Let it cook in the oven for about an hour or until it is very soft. Remove the skin.

Danielle Orie

3. Scoop and mash the flesh of the potato

Danielle Orie

4. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, and line a 8x8 inch square or circular baking pan with oil (I used coconut MCT oil).

5. Drain and rinse can of black beans.

Danielle Orie

6. Combine all ingredients (minus the chocolate chips) and place in a blender or food processor.

Danielle Orie

7. Mix ingredients until you obtain a smooth texture (you don’t want any black bean pulp!)

Danielle Orie

8. Using a spatula, fold in the chocolate chips

Danielle Orie

9. Spoon the brownie batter into the pan as smoothly as possible.

10. Place the filled pan into the oven for about 30-40 minutes.

Danielle Orie

11. Allow bars to cool for 10 minutes after removing them. After they have cooled, transfer the brownies onto a flat surface and refrigerate for a couple of hours.

12. Cut. Serve. Savor. Voila!

Danielle Orie

Optional Recommendations:

(who knew it was possible to make them even better?)

1. Serve with warm or cool milk. Nut milk, soy milk, or plain old fashioned regular milk works fine!

2. Serve with homemade whipped cream and a scoop of vanilla ice cream.

3. Serve with a nut-butter “frosting” on top.

4. Serve with a warmed fruit compote on top.