One of the best things about fall is the yummy fall veggies to look forward to. What are fall veggies, you ask? Think sweet potatoes, squash, brussels sprouts, carrots and kale, just to name a few. Many college students want to eat healthy, but often feel hungry just an hour after a meal because they aren't eating filling foods. This is where the Buddha Bowl comes in. Buddha bowls have a mix of veggies, protein and carbs, so you feel fuller for longer. I have found this to be the best way to make a filling meal with the many combos of fall veggies that are available. The fall veggie buddha bowl is the perfect meal for lunch or dinner!

sweet potato, sweet, vegetable, potato, carrot
Christin Urso

The Fall Veggie Buddha Bowl

• Veggies: choose as many or as little as you want
  • 1 Sweet Potato
  • 1 Small Butternut Squash
  • 1 Acorn Squash
  • 1 Cup Brussels Sprouts
  • 3 Carrots Peeled
  • 2 Cups Kale
  • 1 Cup Cauliflower
  • 1 Cup Broccoli
  • 1 Can Chickpeas
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  • Olive Oil
  • Optional: Turmeric and Cayenne Pepper
  • Protein: Choose 1
  • Chicken Breast
  • Turkey
  • Salmon
  • Falafel
  • Marinated Tofu
  • Bean Burger
Tiffany Snadowsky

Preheat oven to 400°. Wash and cut all veggies into small, bite-sized squares. Clean and dry kale and set aside.

vegetable, kale, cabbage, salad, lettuce
    Allie Hicks

Put all veggies on a pan and drizzle with olive oil. Add salt and pepper to taste. Place in oven and cook until the veggies are tender and roasted to perfection!

sweet, squash, sweet potato, potato, pumpkin
    Becky Hughes

Pick your protein! For chicken, turkey, or salmon: drizzle with olive oil and add salt and pepper and place in the oven. Chicken should be 160° or more and salmon should be flaky and pink. If you choose a vegetarian option, cook until heated thoroughly.

salmon, seafood, fish, salmon fillet, Protein

A great addition to buddha bowls is chickpeas because they add a nice crunch! Take a can of chickpeas and rinse and dry them well. Spread them out on a pan and drizzle with olive oil, then sprinkle salt and pepper. If you want to add some spice, add some cayenne and turmeric!

pasture, vegetable, legume
    Mulin Xiong

Assemble your bowl! Add the kale first, then build your bowl with your veggies and protein. Finally, sprinkle your chickpeas!

cabbage, vegetable, pasture, broccoli, carrot, kale, cauliflower
    Courtney Cheng

Enjoy your fall veggies with the perfect fall buddha bowl!!