When I moved to Saint Louis I was immediately drawn to their traditional Imo's Pizza, which I could devour in one sitting. Unfortunately, gluten doesn't love me as much as I love gluten. So when it comes to my weekly pizza cravings, I need a better option: hence, the cauliflower pizza crust. New crust alternatives are becoming trendy, Trader Joe's even sells a delicious cauliflower pizza crust which is perfect when you're in a bind for time. I decided to see what all the hype was about and made my version of the cauliflower pizza crust from scratch at home. Let's just say, I was pleasantly surprised with the results. My spicy Mexican-styled cauliflower crust has become a frequent recipe in my kitchen. This recipe is ideal for pizza lovers, spicy food enthusiasts, and those with gluten intolerances. 

Prep time: 10 minutes

Cook time: 15 minutes total 

Total time: About 30 minutes

Servings: 4-6 

For the crust: 

-1 head of cauliflower 

-1 egg

-1/2 cup of cheddar cheese (optional but gives the crust a cheesier flavor which I love!)

-1/4 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese 

-3 tablespoons of shredded parmesan cheese

-Salt and pepper to taste

Greta Nagy

For the toppings:

-1 cup sour cream

-1/2 cup shredded Mexican-style cheese 

-2 cups chorizo

-1 tablespoon cooking oil

-4 to 6 mini bell peppers

-1 cup pico de gallo 

-1 avocado

-1 jalapeño

Greta Nagy

Instructions:

For the crust:

Step 1: To begin, preheat your oven to 450F. Using a cutting board and medium sized knife, chop the cauliflower into bite sized chunks. Place the chopped cauliflower into a food processor and blend on medium until it becomes a very fine rice texture. Add all other crust ingredients (egg, cheddar cheese, mozzarella, parmesan, and salt and pepper) to the riced cauliflower and puree until the texture is a dough consistency.

Step 2: Remove the cauliflower dough from the food processor and roll out on a pizza pan. Bake for 15-25 minutes, or until golden brown. Let cool for at least 10 minutes before adding the toppings.

For the toppings: 

Step 3: In a medium sized sauce pan, heat up your cooking oil until shimmering.

#spoontip: you know the oil is ready when you put a small drop off water in the pan and hear a sizzle.

Step 4: Chop chorizo into bite sized pieces and place in the medium sized pan with the oil. Cook the chorizo on medium heat for 5 minutes.

Step 5: Add chopped mini bell peppers to the pan and cook for 10 minutes.

Step 6: Remove the pan from heat and let toppings sit. 

Greta Nagy

Step 7: Once the cauliflower crust has cooled, spread sour cream on top. Next, add the cheese, pico de gallo, chorizo, and peppers. Bake for another 5 minutes. 

Step 8: Finally, thinly cut avocado into slices and serve on top with jalapeno. Enjoy!

#spoontip: for best results, pair your pizza with a delicious margarita!

This healthier alternative to your classic doughy pizza, is simple and tasty. Whether you're having a margarita night with the girls or starving after a run in the park, the spicy Mexican styled cauliflower crust pizza will do the trick! If you love spicy food, add your choice of hot sauce on top; Tabasco is always my go-to. Feel free to mix up the recipe depending on your preference. I hope you enjoy this cauliflower crust as much as I do!