Sweet and Spicy Chickpea Wraps and Sunshine, Please!

Spring is finally around the corner, which means the sun is out; the grass is greener; and the birds are singing. We are sick to death of our favorite comfy sweaters, go-to soup recipes, and in general, being cold. The sunshine, which I'm sure all of us in the Midwest have forgotten about, has given me a bad case of spring fever. All I have been able to do lately is go on some crazy spring-cleaning binges and think about my favorite summer things.

In my opinion, one of the best parts about summer is the fresh produce at the farmers market. There is no better way to spend a Saturday morning than browsing through the booths at the local farmers market. The rainbow of freshly picked fruits and veggies and the aroma of freshly baked goods draws me in every single time.

In between drooling over summertime daydreams and cleaning out my winter closet, I thought I would share one of my favorite summer recipes.

These sweet and spicy chickpea wraps are the perfect way to hit all of your cravings. They are packed with fresh vegetables, plant protein, and have the perfect crunch. This collard green wrap is the perfect substitute when bread or a tortilla just seems too heavy in the summer heat. If you're not a lover of chickpeas, that's too bad because the chickpeas perfectly complete these wraps with their texture and flavor. However, this recipe is also amazing with tuna if that's more your thing.

My absolute favorite way to enjoy these babies is out on the porch with a kombucha in hand. While I wait for the weather to get a little bit warmer, give these sweet and spicy chickpea wraps a try so you can start drooling over summertime just like me. 

Sweet and Spicy Chickpea Collard Green Wraps

• Cook Time:0

• 1 can drained and rinsed chickpeas
  • 4 collard greens
  • 1/2 orange bell pepper
  • 1/2 cucumber
  • 1 large carrot
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon Sriracha sauce
  • 1 tablespoon honey
  • 1 1/4 tablespoon lime juice
  • 1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
  • 2 tablespoons coconut oil
  • 1 teaspoon garlic minced or fresh
  • 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
  • Garlic salt pepper and pink Himalayan salt to taste
Genevieve Feister

A little set up is required for this recipe. Wash all the vegetables and collard greens. Drain and rinse the chickpeas. Put a few ice cubes in a dish and fill it with cool water. Set the vegetables aside other than the collard greens.

Genevieve Feister

In order to make the collard greens easier to roll, we will trim them up. Cut off the stems. Next, using a sharp knife, cut the back side of the leaf vein. Start at the outside of the leaf and work your way inward. Be sure to not cut all the way through the leaf.

Genevieve Feister

Next, fill a sauce pan up about halfway with water and bring the water to a simmer. Using a rubber tong, place a collard green leaf in the simmering water for 45-60 seconds.

#SpoonTip: Time in the water depends on the size of the leaf, so smaller leaves will be in the water closer to 45 seconds, and larger leaves will be in the water closer to 60 seconds.

Genevieve Feister

Place the leaf in the cold water bath for no more than 15 seconds. The leaves should be tender, but not be able to be easily ripped.

Genevieve Feister

Lastly, alternately place the leaf and paper towel on a plate to dry it off. Repeat these steps until all of the collard greens are blanched.

Genevieve Feister

Set aside the collard greens to dry and cut up all of the vegetables. I tend to cut them lengthwise to make them easier to wrap.

Genevieve Feister

Mix all of the wet and dry ingredients for the sauce together until it is well combined. Be sure to taste it, as everyone’s level for spice varies!

Genevieve Feister

Once your sauce mixture is to your taste, add it to the chickpeas and mash together until it is well combined.

#SpoonTip: I like to add a few whole chickpeas in the mixture for texture.

Genevieve Feister

Now comes the fun part: putting it all together! Lay your collard green underside up and fill it with as much filling as you can fit in. I add a little extra drizzle of lime and soy sauce to top it off as well.

Genevieve Feister

Get ready for spring and warmer weather with these vibrant, crunchy, and fresh collard green wraps. These wraps are so versatile and any fresh vegetables could be used. I have also made these with radishes, avocado, tomato, and snow peas; the possibilities are endless! For more delicious ways to use the beloved chickpeas check out this article.