If you don't know what Kombucha is by now, it's time to get familiar. At health stores like Whole Foods, colorful Kombucha bottles are on display everywhere you turn. With an endless number of brands to choose from, how do we know which brand of Kombucha is the best tasting and the best for you? 

What is Kombucha?

For those of you that aren't familiar with the magical drink known as Kombucha, it is a fermented tea. The ingredients are simple: water, tea leaves, sugar, and a SCOBY (symbiotic culture of bacteria and yeast). Okay, I know this sounds repulsive, but stay tuned. The SCOBY is responsible for fermenting the tea giving the drink its light, fizzy flavor and numerous health benefits. 

Why is Kombucha So Good For You?

One word: probiotics. Probiotics are vital for gut health and promote healthy digestion. When you drink Kombucha, you are consuming millions of healthy microbes that keep your digestive system on fleek. 

So, why isn't all Kombucha made equally? The number one thing to look out for is pasteurization. When Kombucha is pasteurized, all of the beneficial live cultures are killed off, which completely defeats the purpose of drinking Kombucha for health benefits. 

How to Pick the Best Kombucha

Now that we all know what's good with Kombucha, here are a few more pointers to keep in mind when deciding which bottle to go for:

1. Glass > plastic 

When Kombucha is fermented in plastic, the strength of the fermentation degrades the material causing particles to actually mix in with the Kombucha itself. That being said, choose glass over plastic all day every day. 

2. Avoid artificial flavors

"Natural Flavors?" Sounds pretty unnatural if you ask me. Avoid this unnecessary addition at all costs. 

3. The darker the bottle the better it is for you

When probiotics are exposed to light for a long period of time, they are damaged. Go for dark bottles of kombucha rather than transparent ones.

4. Short list of ingredients

Kombucha does not require any ingredients besides water, sugar, tea leaves, and yeast. If the ingredient list contains more words than you can count on your fingers, skip it. 

5. Check for Vitamin B 

If the Kombucha that you have in your hand does not list Vitamin B, that could mean it has been pasteurized with heat, which destroys a number of the healthy, naturally occurring vitamins. Do yourself a favor and don't blow $4.99 on it. 

Whether you're looking for a boost of energy, a detoxification after a night out, or a little pick me up to your digestive system, this fermented tea has got you covered. So get up, get out there, and get your 'Booch on. 

In the (slightly edited) words of the most interesting man on earth: Stay thirsty for health, my friends.