Recently, I craved an enchilada...While simultaneously on a mission to eat fewer carbs. Out of my tricky situation, this spaghetti squash enchilada boat recipe was born.

Spaghetti squash aren't hard to cook, you can bake them in the oven or use a microwave. And you can save time by cooking the enchilada filling while the squash bakes. You'll be devouring them in no time.  

Spaghetti Squash Enchilada Boats

• Cook Time:1 hr 30 mins
  • Total Time:1 hr 45 mins

• 4 spaghetti squash
  • 1 pack raw ground chicken
  • 1 pack mushrooms optional
  • 1 pack shredded 4-cheese Mexican blend
  • Green onion optional
  • 1 can red or green enchilada sauce
  • Olive oil
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  • Garlic powder
cheese, pizza, cheddar, chicken, bacon
Kiara Lee

Cut the spaghetti squash in half and remove the seeds.

squash, sweet, acorn squash, pumpkin
    Photo by Kiara Lee

Season them with olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic powder and place them upside down on a baking sheet for 45 minutes. If the flesh is soft when you poke it with a fork, they are done.

sweet, pumpkin, vegetable
    Photo by Kiara Lee

While that is baking, put some olive oil in a pan and cook the ground chicken and sliced mushrooms together on medium heat.

mushroom, cereal, muesli
    Photo by Kiara Lee

Pour 3/4 of the enchilada sauce in the pan with the mushrooms and chicken and let simmer for about 15 min on medium-low heat.

popcorn, cereal, meat, corn
    Photo by Kiara Lee

Once the squash are done cooking, let them cool a bit. Use a fork to scrape the insides and pull apart strands. This will be the base of your boat.

cheese
    Photo by Kiara Lee

Put some filling into each half, cover with cheese, bake for another 15 minutes and enjoy!

pizza, chicken, sauce, cheese
    Photo by Kiara Lee

It is also really easy to reheat so if you're cooking for one, you can just microwave everything to eat it up again. I left the cooked squash, enchilada filling, and cheese separate, so when I wanted to eat this again I heated it all up in the microwave. I've found the squash needs to be heated up first for about 2 minutes then add the enchilada filling and the cheese on top and heat that up for about 3 minutes.

Happy eating!