The best way to beat the summer heat is with a cold, sweet treat! One of my favorite summer treats is Portland-based Salt & Straw ice cream. I've always loved Salt & Straw for its avant-garde flavors, high-quality ice cream, and "farm-to-cone" philosophy. Salt & Straw takes pride in creating handmade ice cream in small-batches, using all-natural dairy and the best local, sustainable, and organic ingredients. 

Ariel Yue

In addition to its rich ice cream flavors created with dairy products, Salt & Straw also has an incredible dairy-free option for ice cream enthusiasts with dietary preferences or limitations. The flavor that inspired this recipe is Salt & Straw’s vegan Roasted Strawberry and Coconut Ice Cream, which consists of roasted strawberries folded into a coconut milk ice cream base. It has a tart, tangy, sweet, almost savory flavor, and the creamy texture of the ice cream is of the same caliber as those made with dairy.

Salt & Straw currently has scoop shops located along the West Coast from Seattle to San Diego, and it ships its ice cream nationwide. However, I wanted to make its delicious ice cream even more accessible, so I decided to create this recipe. 

Roasted Strawberry and Coconut Ice Cream

• 12 oz strawberries
  • 1 tspn balsamic vinegar
  • 2 tbsp sugar
  • 1 can full-fat coconut milk
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 pinch salt
  • 1 tspn vanilla extract
Ariel Yue

Preheat oven to 375°F and assemble ingredients.

Ariel Yue

Hull and quarter strawberries.

Ariel Yue

Mix strawberries with balsamic vinegar and sugar.

Ariel Yue

Roast strawberries for 20 minutes on a lined baking sheet until juices are thick but strawberries still hold their shape.

Ariel Yue

In a separate bowl, combine coconut milk, sugar, salt and vanilla extract.

Ariel Yue

Blend ice cream base in a blender for 1 minute or until ingredients are combined.

Ariel Yue

Add ice cream base to an ice cream maker and churn according to manufacturer's instructions.

#SpoonTip: If you don't have an ice cream maker, pour base into an ice cube tray. Freeze mixture and blend ice cubes in a blender.

Ariel Yue

Mix in roasted strawberries near the end of the churning process.

Ariel Yue

Enjoy immediately for a soft-serve consistency or transfer mixture to a freezer friendly dish and chill until firm.

#SpoonTip: Put the ice cream base into popsicle molds and freeze for another delicious frozen treat.

Ariel Yue

If you don't live near one of Salt & Straw's scoop shops and don't want to wait for your ice cream to be delivered across the country, this is the perfect recipe for you. After tasting this ice cream, you will feel like you are transported to one of Salt & Straw's scoop shops. While this recipe is not a perfect replica of Salt & Straw's Roasted Strawberry and Coconut Ice Cream, it comes very close in taste and texture to its classic flavor.

Make this recipe if you want to try a new dairy-free ice cream or if you just have extra strawberries on hand. If you like this recipe, you can even try creating an ice cream cake or an ice cream pie with it. The possibilities are endless, and there are many ways to take a creative spin on it to create the best dessert for yourself this summer.