Salmon pasta is what a Sunday evening calls for. Something nutritious (to recover from the weekend of course), filling (to power through the TV program your binge watching, or the work you are just starting for Monday morning), and delicious (cause hey, why would you eat something sub par?). 

It was these mix of expectations for a Sunday night meal that led me to create this Super Simple Sunday Salmon Pasta (my fruitful attempt at alliteration, ladies and gentlemen). But in all honesty, this meal is just what you need to get yourself going and has all the nutrients you need to not feel so guilty about those indulgences this weekend.

I opted for whole wheat pasta as it's nuttier, more filling, and just all-around better. The salmon can be frozen or fresh—if it's frozen remember to let it defrost before you cut it and cook it. Ginger, lemon, garlic, and olive oil are a MUST for this, and most other recipes.

But the real winner in this recipe is the lemon juice that brings just the right amount of tangy zest to the salmon and beans. Dig in! 

Super Simple Salmon Pasta

• 1 fillet salmon
  • 1 large handful green beans
  • 1 onion
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 1/2 lemon
  • 1 teaspoon minced ginger
  • 1 serving whole wheat pasta
  • olive oil
  • salt
  • pepper
  • chilli flakes
  • basil

Dice your onion and garlic and place in a bowl with 1 tablespoon olive oil and ginger.

Cut the salmon fillet into pieces and place the pieces in the bowl with the onion and garlic mixture. Mix so that the salmon is well covered. Wash and prepare the beans. Cut off the ends and then cut each bean in half (Easiest and quickest way is to use scissors!).

Put a salted pot of water to boil for your pasta. Once the water is boiling place your pasta in the pot (I used spaghetti) and cook according to the instructions on the package. When the pasta is done remove the water and place it in a colander while you wait.

Heat olive oil (2 tablespoon) in a pan on medium heat. When the pan is hot add your green beans, shaking the pan for approximately 3-5 minutes. Add your salmon and onion mixture as well as salt and pepper. Cook for approximately 5 minutes (until the salmon looks juicy and not raw on the inside). Squeeze your lemon on top.

asparagus, beans, salmon, onion
    Saskia Blackburn

Turn off the heat and add your pasta to pan. Chop in fresh basil, salt, pepper, and chilli flakes, and mix well to make sure the pasta absorbs all the salmon and bean flavours.

Place in a bowl and dig in!

chicken, pasta, peanut, salad
    Saskia Blackburn