Pocky: possibly the most mainstream Japanese treat adopted into American culture. Actually, probably the most mainstream Asian snack that's been accepted thus far. If you haven't tried pocky you haven't lived.

For those of you who don't know what pocky is, it's a thin biscuit dipped in some form of flavored covering. More than likely, that flavored covering is chocolate; however, pocky comes in a variety of different biscuit and coating flavor combinations. You'll usually see a plain biscuit with chocolate coating.

The first thing you need to do is get cookie sticks to make your pocky with. I've provided a recipe below, but you can always buy them if you want to speed up the process.

Pocky Sticks

• Total Time:1 hr 5 mins

• 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/4 teaspoon vanilla or almond extract
  • 1 cup bread flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 4 teaspoons water
wheat, cookie, sweet, pastry, bread
Susanna Mostaghim

Preheat oven to 300°F. Stir butter and sugar together until creamy and smooth.

candy, flour, mochi, sweet, dairy product
    Susanna Mostaghim

Add egg and extract. Stir to combine.

sweet, milk, rice, vegetable, dairy product
    Susanna Mostaghim

Add the flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir to combine.

dough, flour, milk, cream, egg
    Susanna Mostasghim

Add the water and stir until smooth.

bread, flour, dairy product, sweet
    Susanna Mostaghim

Transfer the mixture to a pastry bag fitted with a plain round pastry tip. If you don't have this you can use a plastic bag with the tip cut off.

cream, sweet, dairy product
    Susanna Mostaghim

Pipe batter onto parchment lined baking sheets in straight lines, about 6 inches long and about half an inch apart.

dairy product
    Susanna Mostaghim

Bake the dough until the sticks are set and light golden brown, 15 to 18 minutes.

cookie, bread, pastry, dough, sausage
    Susanna Mostaghim

Let the sticks cool on the sheets on cooling racks for 5 minutes, then carefully transfer them to a rack to cool completely. Repeat with the remaining batter.

cookie, sweet, pastry, chocolate
    Susanna Mostaghim

Next, you'll want to make your flavored coating. Strawberry and matcha are two popular favorites besides chocolate. If you're doing chocolate, you can simply temper your chocolate and dip your biscuits. If you want to make a flavored coating, you simply take tempered white chocolate and blend it with your flavoring.

After you've made your coating, just dip your biscuits and decorate like you would a chocolate dipped pretzel. You can even mix in toppings with the coating to get different textures. But, if you're a busy person you can always get Asian snacks without even leaving your dorm room.