Contrary to popular belief, it's not as hard to be vegan during the holiday season. With the perfect combination of rich dark chocolate covering a soft and gooey peppermint center, these vegan peppermint patties are the perfect treat for the holidays.

Not only are they vegan, they're also free of the top 8 allergens, making them perfect for nearly anyone to enjoy. Make this recipe for your next holiday cookie exchange or wrap some up and give them as a gift to the vegan in your life. 

Vegan Peppermint Patties

• Cook Time:1 hr
  • Total Time:1 hr 30 mins

• 1/4 cup coconut oil melted
  • 1/3 cup light corn syrup
  • 2 teaspoon peppermint extract
  • 3 cups powdered sugar
  • 1 cup dairy-free chocolate chips
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable shortening
  • optional: crushed candy canes
cream, peppermint, chocolate

Combine the melted coconut oil, corn syrup, and peppermint extract in a bowl.

tea, coffee, wine
    Jackie O'Brien

Slowly begin adding the powdered sugar to the wet ingredients. Begin mixing everything together (it is easiest to use your hands for this) until it comes together.

bread, flour, dough
    Jackie O'Brien

Continue mixing and kneading with your hands until a uniform ball is made. The heat from your hands will help make it easier to stay together.

pastry, bread, cream, sweet, dairy product, flour, coffee, dough, milk
    Jackie O'Brien

Using your hands or a cookie scooper, form small patties and place on a cookie sheet covered with wax paper.

sweet, dairy product, coffee, cream, milk
    Jackie O'Brien

In a microwave-safe bowl, add the shortening and chocolate chips. Microwave on high for about 1 minute and stir. Continue this until the chips are completely melted.

chocolate, sweet, coffee, milk, cream
    Jackie O'Brien

Using a fork, place the patties in the chocolate, making sure they are completely coated, and place them back on the cookie sheet.

dairy product, candy, coffee, sweet, cream, milk, chocolate
    Jackie O'Brien

While the chocolate coating is still wet, sprinkle the patties with crushed candy canes if desired.

sweet, cookie, coffee, candy, milk, chocolate
    Jackie O'Brien

Place the cookie sheet in the freezer and allow the chocolate to fully harden before eating.

mint, peppermint, chocolate
    Jackie O'Brien