As a commuter who is constantly on the go, having a healthy breakfast is a necessity for getting through crazy days. I'm a vegan, so finding a healthy, filling, on-the-go breakfast is an absolute necessity. I resorted to granola bars for a while, but since granola bars have plastic packaging, I stopped purchasing them.

Then, I discovered How Not To Die Cookbook, AKA my bible; the cookbook features a recipe for Superfood Breakfast Bites. After trying them (and making them every week since buying the book), I can guarantee these delicious bites are exactly what you need to start the day. (P.S. They're vegan!

Superfood Breakfast Bites

• 3/4 pitted dates soaked in hot water for 20 minutes then drained
  • 3/4 cup raw walnuts pecans or cashews I used cashews!
  • 3/4 cup dried cranberries apricots apple slices or other dried chopped fruit I used cranberries!
  • 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
  • 2 tablespoons goji berries or barberries I used goji!
  • 2 tablespoons chia seeds or hulled hemp seeds I used chia seeds!
  • 2 tablespoons ground flaxseeds I use flax seeds and they work just as well
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Melissa Cannarozzo

In a food processor, combine the drained dates with the nuts and sunflower seeds until they're combined and finely grounded.

Melissa Cannarozzo

Add the remaining ingredients. I add the chia, flax, and dried fruit in parts so it blends better. The texture should be very sticky. If you notice the mixture is too dry then add 1 tablespoon of water. If the mixture is too wet then add more flax and chia.

Melissa Cannarozzo

Use a tablespoon to scoop the mixture into your hands, then roll it into a little ball. Continue doing this until you are out of mixture. Store in the fridge for at least 1 hour to chill and firm. Store in the fridge.

Melissa Cannarozzo

These energy bites are delicious and are SO good for you. Eating a healthy breakfast really molds your energy levels throughout the day. I recommend this recipe to anyone who lives a busy lifestyle and wants to be more health-conscious. Enjoy!