Blackberry butter toast for breakfast? It's a no-"grainer". This article is dedicated to Lilly Durazo, a biomedical engineer, a dear friend and the mastermind behind this irresistible blackberry butter toast.

After listening to one of the most creative speeches in our public speaking class, the entire audience was left intrigued with Lilly's ingenious toast combinations and overall passion for all things toast. Immediately, inspiration struck my mind and I knew I had to introduce this dish to the Spoon community.

Being a breakfast fanatic myself, I'm personally always on the lookout for modern approaches of vamping up traditional foods. After all, I would've never thought of putting such an interesting spin on classic buttered toast. I was craving to know more and, thankfully, Lilly agreed to answer some questions I had about her irresistible blackberry butter toast recipe.

The Toast Mastermind

Q: What inspired you to create this blackberry butter toast?

"My old roommate Corinne, my friend Amie and I were all toast enthusiasts and we were bad at budgeting our [allocated on-campus dining funds], so we would toast the baguettes from [the local campus grocery store] and put whatever we had left in the fridge on top [of the toast]. Corinne was a big fan of cheese and fruit combos, but we didn't have cheese so we just went with butter."

Q: What do you pair this toast with?

"Black coffee, always".

Q: How do you prepare toast and, if you have one, what is your favorite type of bread to use?

"I use whatever bread I have, but I love baguettes the most. Sometimes I toast it, sometimes I throw it in the oven. There's no real rules to the process"

And with that, my desire to taste and share this simple yet delicious recipe with others was reinforced by Lilly's intriguing back story. As college students, we're all looking for creative, feel-good meals we can make while still maintaining our busy schedules. So, I'm sure you're excited to know that all you need to make this toast are the three B's: bread, butter and blackberries.

Lilly's Blackberry Butter Toast

• Bread *of choosing*
  • Butter
  • Blackberries
  • Optional: Powdered Sugar
Tanvi Kharkar

Toast one slice of bread. While the bread is toasting, slice blackberries into halves.

Tanvi Kharkar

Spread butter on toast.

Tanvi Kharkar

Place blackberries on top of toast.

Tanvi Kharkar

Optional: Dust powdered sugar on top of prepared toast.

Tanvi Kharkar

Prepare coffee (or any drink / side) if desired.

Tanvi Kharkar

A Toast to Toast

Beat the lines and repetitive dorm food with this tasty breakfast. Not only will you be trying something new, but the simplicity of this recipe requires only five minutes out of your morning routine — so that you can spend as much time as you need studying for those midterms *wink wink*. If you still haven't been convinced to try this scrumptious blackberry butter toast, consider this: you are only three ingredients short of a delectable morning meal, some of which you may already have  in your refrigerator.