Back when I was younger, I LOVED playing the Nintendo DS game, Cooking Mama. While my parents didn't quite let me experiment with cooking in the kitchen at this age, Cooking Mama was the chef who mentored me to be the elite chef in the world of video games.

Who knew that a virtual mother and chef would have motivated me to take interest in cooking, teaching me the proper techniques, recipes, and tools crucial to make the tastiest looking home-cooked meals? From knowing how to make the juiciest looking steak to the creamiest looking clam chowder, Cooking Mama inspires me to bring her recipes to life.

This Omurice (Japanese fried rice omlette) recipe is closely followed to the one in the Cooking Mama game. 

Omurice

• 4 Eggs
  • 2 Chicken Breasts
  • 1/2 Onion
  • 250g Butter
  • 2 Tablespoon Olive Oil
  • 2 Cups Rice
  • 1 Bottle Ketchup
  • 2 Tablespoons Salt
  • 10 Mushrooms
  • 1/2 Can Sweet Corn Optional
bacon, omelette, omelet
Shizuka Tei

Break the eggs and whisk in a bowl. Set aside for later.

egg yolk, yolk, egg
    Shizuka Tei

Cut the chicken breasts into even slices. Cooking Mama cuts them into long strips but I recommend cutting them into smaller cubes or chunks.

salmon, dairy product, sushi, fish
    Shizuka Tei

Slice the onion into widthwise or lengthwise slices and then dice them into smaller cubes. Slice the mushrooms widthwise or lengthwise into smaller pieces as well. The game does not include this step but the ingredient is shown later on.

apple
    Shizuka Tei

Melt the butter in your pan.

cake, butter
    Shizuka Tei

Place the chicken in the pan and cook until the chicken is halfway done. Add the diced onions and mushrooms when the chicken is almost fully cooked (add sweet corn if desired). Keep sauteing until all of the ingredients are fully cooked and sprinkle in the salt for flavor.

pasta
    Shizuka Tei

Add the rice into the saute mix and stir until the rice is evenly distributed. Pour in the ketchup to your desired flavor but 1/4-1/2 cup is recommended.

sauce, chicken, rice
    Shizuka Tei

In a separate pan, pour olive oil once heated. Pour in 1/3 (for just 1 serving) of the egg mixture into the pan and make sure it covers the entire pan. Let it cook until the bottom is cooked and solidified. Add the rice mixture in the middle of the pan and lift the edges of the egg and wrap it around the rice.

chicken, rice, bacon, egg, scrambled
    Shizuka Tei

Serve the omurice on a plate and decorate with more ketchup.

egg, omelet, omelette
    Shizuka Tei