I’ve been hungry (literally) to find my next go-to fall snack, but I can’t say any of these three Pillsbury Chex Mix recipes knocked my socks off. These three recipes had high ratings and positive comments online, but they all fell a little short on my radar. However, these three recipes are a great way to improve your average Chex Mix snack. In line with seasonal fall flavors, I chose to test out Pillsbury's Pumpkin Spice, Cinnamon-Apple and Hot Buttered Yum Chex Mix recipes. In my reviews, I also suggest ways to improve them!

Pumpkin Spice Chex Mix

Aubrey Custer

Pumpkin spice is all the rage these days, from granola bars to Oreos. Therefore, expectations were high as I dove into Pillsbury's Pumpkin Spice Chex Mix recipe. The pumpkin spice flavor was more subtle than I hoped for, but it was still prevalent. The pecans added a nice crunch, but I would have been more satisfied if they were coated in sugar. Either way, if you are always the first person in line for your daily PSL at Starbucks, you will probably enjoy this recipe.

Suggestion: Substitute the regular pecans in this recipe for these crunchy and sweet candied pecans!

Cinnamon-Apple Chex Mix

Aubrey Custer

Cinnamon-apple is an up-and-coming fall flavor that has the potential to catch up to the popularity of pumpkin spice. I was hesitant to try this recipe, but the flavor combo screamed fall. If the recipe substituted the almonds for another type of nut and added more yogurt-covered raisins, this mix would be near perfect. By heating up the dried apples with the cereal mixture, the cinnamon, brown sugar and apples bring out a strong aroma that fills the room. If you are a fan of dried fruit, I would definitely give this recipe a try.

Suggestion: Substitute the almonds in this recipe for walnuts or pecans, and double the amount of yogurt-covered raisins! 

Hot Buttered Yum Chex Mix

Aubrey Custer

"Hot buttered yum" is a take on hot buttered rum, the seasonal mixed drink. I had no idea what this recipe would entail, but I knew it sounded warm and toasty. The marshmallows paired with the Cinnamon Chex and Honey Nut Chex cereals are a match made in heaven. Beware, though: The teaspoon of rum flavoring goes a long way. I thought I was tipsy for a moment! If you are feeling adventurous, I would high-key recommend this recipe. 

Suggestion: I recommend using 1/2 teaspoon of rum flavoring instead of a full teaspoon, since this flavor is so strong.

Although these recipes didn't leave me dying for more, I was impressed by the creativity of each. Watch out: You may gain some arm muscle from all of the required stirring. If you are interested in trying new Chex Mix recipes, the list does not end here. The Pillsbury website provides an impressive and lengthy list of easy recipes.