When I got my Spoon Cookbook in the mail, I couldn't wait to start trying recipes. I'll admit that while I am a foodie, cooking is not my specialty. So, I wanted to start easy. "Desperate Times Pizza Toast" was just that. 

Desperate Times Pizza Toast

• 2 teaspoons olive oil
  • 2 slices whole wheat bread
  • 2 tablespoons marinara sauce
  • 3 tablespoons shredded mozzarella cheese
  • Any additional toppings you want
  • Your Spoon University Cookbook "How to Feed Yourself"
Ashley Anglisano

Heat the oil in a small skillet over medium-heat. Add the bread and cook until the bottom turns golden brown. 1-2 minutes.

Ashley Anglisano

Flip the bread and reduce the heat to low. Top with marinara sauce, shredded cheese and any other additional toppings of your choosing.

Ashley Anglisano

Cover and cook until the cheese has melted. 2-3 minutes.

Ashley Anglisano

Repeat for each additional piece of toast.

#cheese, #pizza, #shreddedcheese, #cheesegrater, #cooking, #food, #photography, #foodporn
    Yasmeen Aboulhawa

I was really surprised when the recipe called for the piece of bread to be put into an olive oil-coated pan on the oven. To make pizza toast I figured I would need a ... toaster? Nope!

Coating a frying pan with olive oil was nothing unusual to me, an Italian

Waiting for the bread to toast felt a lot like making grilled cheese.

I kind of expected the cheese to melt, but it didn't do much.

So, I settled for *warm* cheese and as I was was trying to look at the bottom of the toast to make sure it was ready, I dropped it, so there was a small accident there.

Ashley Anglisano

I was able to salvage the toast (the five second rule is legit, right?) and moved on and repeated the process two more times. 

Final thoughts

This meal is perfect for those nights when you're craving pizza, but you're too cheap (broke) to pay the delivery fee. 

It's easy and requires ingredients most people usually have stocked and ready in their fridge anyways. 

Finally, and I think most importantly, it was super quick and easy! What more could a college student want!