This DIY pizza bagel recipe not only can save you money in the long run, but it also allows you to control what you're putting into your body because you can use whatever ingredients you please. So, the next time you're in the grocery store getting your food for the week, instead of going into the frozen section, remember these three easy ingredients that can allow you to DIY your own pizza bagels.

#SpoonTip: Although this recipe might be a little more expensive up front, it's a one-time purchase that can save you money in the long run.

First, the base for our dorm-room pizza bagels will consist of mini bagels. Full-sized bagels can also be used, but to make these pizza bagels the traditional way, I chose to go with a 12-pack of mini bagels. The 12 bagels will actually make 24 pizza bagels, because one half of a bagel equals one pizza bagel.

Next, you'll need a pre-made red sauce. Remember that the 24-oz. jar can be kept in the refrigerator in your dorm room and can be used for many other recipes (or more pizza bagels in the future). Lastly, a basic ingredient that you will need is cheese. Similar to the sauce, the mozzarella can be used for many more pizza bagels or other recipes in the future.

Because you're doing it yourself, you can put whatever toppings your heart desires on the pizza bagels. For example, you could buy pepperoni, olives, mushrooms, or any other toppings you wish and put them on the pizza. Now that you're ready with your grocery list, here's how to make pizza bagels in your microwave.

Microwave Pizza bagels

• Cook Time:3 secs
  • Total Time:5 mins 3 secs

• Mini bagels
  • Red sauce
  • Cheese
  • Toppings - optional
Lee Levi

Cut bagel in half.

Lee Levi

Add a tablespoon of red sauce to the mini bagel half (add more if you like your bagels saucier).

Lee Levi

Add cheese on top. I put one handful of mozzarella cheese, but you can add as much as you want.

Lee Levi

Put the bagel in the microwave for 1 to 2 minutes or more if the cheese has not melted yet.

Lee Levi

Add any toppings of your choice.

Lee Levi

These homemade pizza bagels can be made in the oven or the microwave, but a close eye should be kept on them so they don't burn down your dorm room. These pizza bagels can be made in your dorm room easily and can save you money in the long run. 

#SpoonTip: These pizza bagels can be made in bulk and then put into the freezer for future enjoyment. If putting them in the freezer, it's best to add the toppings after the bagels have been taken out of the freezer.