Hello Sushi Lovers! Ever heard of onigirazu, a.k.a the sushi sandwich? If you haven't - you have been missing out! This onigirazu is quick and easy, and will make for a perfect lunch or snack to take with you to satisfy those sushi cravings!

Onigirazu 2 Ways (Vegetarian and Non-Vegetarian)

• Tomatoes
  • Avocado
  • Nori sheets
  • Steamed white rice
  • Cucumber
  • Baby spinach
  • Smoked salmon/or sashimi
  • Salt
  • Optional: sesame seeds
fish, seafood, vegetable, sushi, rice

Before assembling your onigirazu, we must first cook the rice. Pour water (for every cup of rice, use 1 3/4 cups of water) into a large saucepan and cover with a lid. Bring to a boil and mix 1 teaspoon salt into the water. Then, add the rice to the boiling water.

Cover the pot, making sure the lid fits tightly on the pot. Turn down the heat to a low flame and let the rice simmer for about 18 minutes, then remove from heat and allow the rice to steam in the pot for another 5 minutes.

Using your chopping board, slice your tomatoes, cucumbers, sashimi or smoked salmon, and avocado into thin slices.

tomato, lettuce, salad, vegetable
    Nina Wang

Set up your workspace, by laying a large piece of plastic wrap over a clean dry cutting board or any other flat surface. Lay a nori sheet on top, with the smooth side facing down.

herb, vegetable
    Nina Wang

Spread some rice onto the center of the dried seaweed in a diamond shape, with the tip of the diamond at the top of the sheet of seaweed. (Tip: make sure to wet your hands while doing this, from preventing the rice to stick)

Begin adding your toppings. For vegetarian: first add baby spinach leaves, then tomato slices, avocado, cucumber, and end with another layer of spinach.

seaweed salad, fish, vegetable, sushi, nori, seafood
    Nina Wang

For non-vegetarian: add spinach leaves, salmon/or sashimi, cucumber, avocado, tomato, and finish with another layer of spinach. Lay an additional layer of rice on top of the toppings. (Note: toppings can vary depending on personal preferences, you can add anything you would like - be creative!)

salad
    Nina Wang

Using the plastic wrap, pull one edge of the nori sheet towards the center of the "diamond" rice. Press down to allow for the nori to stick to the rice, then peel back the plastic wrap. Repeat for the opposite side and the remaining corners.

seafood, nori
    Nina Wang

Keep the onigirazu in the plastic wrap for a couple of minutes. Gently press down on the onigirazu to help the nori stick to the rice and hold its shape. Either keep it in the wrap to take with you for a lunch/snack OR cut the onigirazu in half - and enjoy this awesome sushi sandwich right then and there!

fish, seafood, vegetable, sushi, rice
    Nina Wang

This onigizaru is delicious, quick, and great for lunch or dinner on the move. We love this tasty alternative to regular sushi and definitely recommend giving it a go! 

Check out this article for more alternative sushi dishes to try!