Meatballs is a classic, simple dish. Because of its simplicity, it has become a platform for several different countries to create their own spin on the dish, including China, Sweden, America and India. These international renditions have succeeded well in transgressing across borders. It always amazes me how food carries and changes cross-culturally with the physical movement over seas.

Many of these countries take the same foundation of meat, eggs and breadcrumbs and renovate it into a dish that is unique to their own respective cultures. I decided to do something similar: add a unique twist to a classic international dish. I used a classic Indian style meatball recipe and an exotic Chinese style meatball recipe, added separate spices and ingredients, and transformed the dishes into my own. Enjoy!

Indian Style Meatballs

• 4 oz package beef
  • 1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 small onion
  • 1/2 tablespoon garlic
  • Indian spices i.e tumeric cumin and coriander: 1/2 teaspoon each

Preheat the oven to 400°F and prepare your ingredients.
    #SpoonTip: play around with the spices! It's a great way to get a burst of flavor.

Makaiyla Dell

Evenly dice the onion into small pieces.

shallot, elephant garlic, condiment, vegetable, garlic, onion
    Makaiyla Dell

Then, add the diced onion to the beef, and mix it evenly. Next, add the garlic, Panko bread crumbs and egg. Finally, add the Indian spices.

bacon, beef, cabbage, sauerkraut, corned beef
    Makaiyla Dell

Once evenly mixed, take small portions of the beef mixture and roll into small balls. Place the prepared ball onto a baking sheet. Continue until all of the beef mixture is used up.

chocolate, pork, bacon
    Makaiyla Dell

Place the baking sheet in the oven for 15 minutes. Remember: The length of time in the oven depends on the size of the meatball. The larger the meatballs, the more time it takes in the oven.

meat, beef, sausage
    Makaiyla Dell

Chinese Style Meatballs

• 4 oz package beef
  • 1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 small yellow onion
  • Chinese spices i.e star anise cinnamon fennel cloves black peppercorn: 1/2 teaspoon each
  • 2/3 cup hoisin sauce
  • 1/4 cup rice vinegar
  • 1/8 cup sweet chili sauce
  • 1 tablespoon minced garlic

egg
    Makaiyla Dell

Makaiyla Dell

Then, add the diced onion to the beef and mix it evenly. Next, add the garlic, Panko bread crumbs, egg and Chinese spices. Combine fully.

mince, ground beef, bacon, pork, meat, beef
    Makaiyla Dell

chocolate, pork, bacon
    Makaiyla Dell

meat, beef, sausage
    Makaiyla Dell

As the meatballs are cooking, prepare the sauce. To do this, add the hoisin sauce, garlic, rice vinegar and sweet chili sauce in a mixing bowl. Mix together until fully combined.

steak sauce, sweet, chocolate, espresso, coffee
    Makaiyla Dell