There are many different types of kibbeh, but one of the most iconic types is Kibbeh Raas or Nabulsi Kibbeh, which is is a meat and onion mixture stuffed in a bulgur, onion, meat, and spice mixture and shaped like a football or torpedo. It can be baked or deep fried, and this recipe is baked then broiled to give it a crispy exterior. This kibbeh recipe is made with beef, so it's also more affordable! While they're delicious on their own, they're also great dipped in yogurt sauce or even sour cream.

Baked Beef Kibbeh

• Prep Time:2 hrs 45 mins
  • Cook Time:1 hr
  • Total Time:3 hrs 45 mins

• 1 1/3 cup Ziyad Brand Burghul Wheat Fine Grade
  • 8 1/2 oz lean ground beef divided
  • 2 onions
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon Ziyad Brand allspice divided
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon Ziyad Brand cinnamon divided
  • 2 tablespoons plain flour
  • 2 teaspoons Sultan Brand Extra Virgin olive oil
  • 1/3 cup beef stock
  • 2 tablespoons Ziyad Brand pine nuts finely chopped
  • 1 teaspoon parsley chopped
  • Salt
  • Pepper
falafel, beef, sauce, meat
Jennifer Nigro

Cover the bulgur (burghul wheat) with boiling water and let it sit for 5 minutes.

milk
    Jennifer Nigro

Drain in a colander, and press well to remove any water. Spread the bulgur on paper towels to absorb any excess moisture.

salt, wheat, flour, cereal
    Jennifer Nigro

Add the bulgur, 3 1/2 oz of ground beef, 1 grated onion, 1/2 teaspoon allspice, and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, and the flour to a food processor and process until a fine paste forms. Season well with salt and pepper, mix, and refrigerate the mixture for 1 hour.

ice cream, cream, salt, ice
    Jennifer Nigro

For the filling, heat the olive oil in a frying pan, add 1 chopped onion, and cook over low heat for 3 minutes, until the onion is soft.

rice, garlic, onion, vegetable
    Jennifer Nigro

Add 5 oz of ground beef and 1 teaspoon each of allspice and cinnamon and cook, stirring it over high heat for 3 minutes.

Jennifer Nigro

Add the beef stock and cook over low heat partially covered for 6 minutes until the mince is soft.

tea, coffee
    Jennifer Nigro

Transfer to a bowl to cool. Chop the pine nuts in a food processor and stir them in with the parsley. Season well with salt and pepper.

herb, pepper, salt
    Jennifer Nigro

Line a baking tray with foil and grease. Dip your hands in water and shape the bulgur mixture into an oval.

cookie
    Jennifer Nigro

Spoon the meat mixture into the center of the ovals.

Jennifer Nigro

Wrap the bulgur mixture around the meat mixture and shape into a football shape, making sure it's completely sealed. Refrigerate for 1 hour.

bread
    Jennifer Nigro

Bake at 375°F for 30 minutes and broil for an additional 6-10 minutes. Serve alone or with yogurt sauce or sour cream. Enjoy!

falafel, beef, sauce, meat
    Jennifer Nigro