When people enter my room, the first thing they say is usually, “Why does it smell so sour?” I then lead them to my desk and show them my mini castle.

yogurt

Photo by Shirley Chen

Welcome to the Yogurt Zone: where my roommate and I consume about fifteen tubs of Greek yogurt a week. Yes. 15.

yogurt

I love to eat this thick, creamy stuff straight from the container. It’s almost as satisfying as ice cream but is guilt-free and packed with protein, calcium and happy bacteria. Now, I understand that there are folks out there who don’t get quite the same thrill as I do from eating plain old yogurt…

yogurt

So here are five brilliant and unexpected ways you can incorporate Greek yogurt into your diet to get all the health benefits.

1. Baking

yogurt

Photo by Emily Edelman

Add Greek yogurt to any of your baked goods for extra moisture and a finer crumb. These banana bread and sugar cookie recipes are simple and delicious. Use yogurt as a butter or oil substitute in a one-to-one ratio; if your batter seems too thick, just add an extra dollop.

2. Sauces and dressings

yogurt

Photo by Emily Edelman

You can make a quick, light dressing with just yogurt, spices and milk. Try combining it with dijon mustard and honey. Or add chopped cucumbers and plenty of pepper for tzatziki. The possibilities are endless, but this cheese sauce for mac and cheese is particularly noteworthy.

3. Soup

yogurt

Photo by Emily Edelman

Replace the heavy cream in soups with Greek yogurt to get the same creamy consistency without the fat and calories. To avoid curdling, take the soup off the heat before stirring it in.

4. Mayo substitute

yogurt

Photo by Emily Edelman

The next time you make chicken salad or egg salad, reach for the Greek yogurt instead of the mayo. Kick up the flavor with some extra spices, and no body will ever notice the difference.

5. Frozen yogurt

yogurt

Photo by Emily Edelman

Instead of going out for over-priced froyo, just blend Greek yogurt with fruit and honey and place it in the freezer overnight. You can experiment with funky flavor combinations like peanut butter and cinnamon, pineapple and coconut milk, or blueberries and mint.

For more great yogurt ideas, check out these links below: