Greek yogurt is a great option for breakfast or a filling snack, and its nutritional value is unmatched by other yogurts on the market. In recent years, Greek yogurt has seen an incredible rise in popularity: not only are more Greek yogurt brands popping up, but mainstream brands like Dannon and Yoplait have entered the market with their own versions of this tangy variation on traditional yogurt. This increase in options may make it more difficult to decide which Greek yogurt to try. Here, Spoon breaks down the difference between three of the most popular options.

Greek Yogurt

Photo by Justin Schuble

1. Fage
Fage is the oldest Greek yogurt brand out there, and therefore arguably the most traditional. Fage offers a unique packaging, with plain yogurt on one side and a mix-in, like fruit preserves or honey, on the other. Additionally, Fage recently added a new line of blended fruit yogurts called Fruyo. Fage is tangy and slightly sour, a classic Greek yogurt. The fruit preserves and honey cut the tanginess a bit, but it is definitely there. It’s thicker and creamier than a regular yogurt, making it a more substantial meal if you choose to eat it as such.

Greek Yogurt

Photo by Justin Schuble

2. Chobani
Chobani is currently the #1 yogurt in America. The brand offers a large variety of options, from the regular blended fruit yogurts to Chobani Flips, which add ingredients like granola, nuts and dark chocolate. What makes Chobani appealing to so many is its more subtle tanginess: although still there, the sour notes in Chobani are not as overwhelming as in other Greek yogurts.  Additionally, Chobani is less thick than most Greek yogurts. The decrease in both tanginess and thickness makes Chobani the most widely preferred yogurt.

Greek Yogurt

Photo by Justin Schuble

3. Dannon Oikos
Oikos is the most recent addition to the Greek yogurt aisle.  Packaged either as only plain yogurt or with a layer of fruit at the bottom and topped with plain yogurt, Oikos is similar in thickness and creaminess to Fage yogurts. It does not have an overwhelming tangy flavor, and it’s by far the sweetest of the three options.  Oikos is a great middle of the road option between Fage and Chobani.

Choosing the best Greek yogurt all depends on your preference.  If you’re looking for the most traditional option, go for Fage.  If you’re not a fan of the tanginess and are looking for more variety in flavor, you should choose Chobani. Finally, if you are looking for something thick and creamy, but prefer a sweeter yogurt, try Dannon Oikos.