The chill in the air and the smell of pumpkin spice lattes exuding from my local Starbucks can only mean one thing…Fall is upon us. And this season calls for a whole new repertoire of desserts. Say goodbye to popsicles and ice cream cones, and hello apple crisp and cider donuts...And healthy cookies?

Soon enough you’ll be devouring Halloween candy, and soon after that you’ll be sitting around a table for Thanksgiving, and not long after that comes the winter holiday season filled with pies, cookies, and chocolate Advent calendars.

In summary, we’re about to enter the season of eating. Of course, all of these holidays are filled with family and food (two of my favorite things), but sometimes there is a sense of anxiety surrounding the sugar comas you know you will soon be slipping into. Have no fear, you can eat delicious things and still stay healthy during the holidays. 

These cookies are a white chocolate and cranberry combo that’s perfect for any fall or winter treat, plus the nutritional benefits of oats and chia seeds. They taste so good, your relatives won’t even know that what you’re serving them has secret health benefits.

Whip up these healthy cookies and bring them to your next family gathering, or just enjoy them as a snack alongside your pumpkin spice latte.

Healthy Cranberry White Chocolate Cookies

• 2 large overripe bananas
  • 1 cup oats
  • 2 tablespoon chia seeds
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • Cinnamon
  • 1/4 cup dried cranberries
  • 1/4 cup white chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 F.

coffee, kettle, beer, pizza
    Jamie Caccavaro

In a large bowl, mash bananas. Use a masher for mashed potatoes if you have one on hand, but a regular fork does the trick as well.

Jamie Caccavaro

Mix in oats and chia seeds. Note: If you're not an avid lover of chia seeds, reduce the amount to 1 tablespoon.

cereal
    Jamie Caccavaro

Mix in vanilla and a dash of cinnamon. These ingredients can be left out if you don't have them, but your cookies won't taste quite as good.

tea, oatmeal
    Jamie Caccavaro

Form your "cookie dough" into small, consistently-sized balls and space them out evenly on a baking sheet.

chocolate, cookie, cake
    Jamie Caccavaro

Flatten them a bit as you add the white chocolate and cranberries on top. Use as many or as few as you'd like.

chocolate, peanut butter, butter, peanut, cookie
    Jamie Caccavaro

Put them in the oven for 10 minutes, then pull out those healthy cookies and enjoy 'em when they've cooled. They'll be soft when you take them out, but you just have to let them harden while they cool. They can be kept in the freezer or fridge and even re-toasted later.

granola
    Jamie Caccavaro