Maybe you had an extra slice or two of cake at your cousin’s graduation party. Maybe you just mindlessly housed an entire sleeve of Oreos while catching up on your favorite TV shows. Maybe you had a really stressful day and wound up diving head first into a bag of frosted animal crackers knowing fully well there will be no survivors. Whatever the case may be, sugar binges can creep up on us at the most unexpected times.

If you have ever fallen victim to the addictive powers of sugar, there are ways to feel better. Follow these six steps to help your body bounce back from even the worst binge.

Sugar

1. Don’t panic

Sugar

Sugar binges happen to the best of us. OK, maybe not Gisele and Tom Brady, but if we’re being honest they’re super humans engineered to make you feel bad about your choices, so they don’t count. Just like you can’t lose ten pounds overnight, you won’t gain ten pounds overnight either. Sugar has been proposed to be just as (if not more) addictive as heroin and cocaine, so it is totally normal to lose a little control around the stuff every now and then.

2. Eat something

Sugar

Photo courtesy of @goodvibeseatery on Instagram

I know it sounds backwards, but you should really eat something with nutritional value after a sugar binge. Eating a small high-fiber meal or snack will help slow digestion and control your blood sugar levels so you don’t wind up crashing later.

Although skipping your next meal seems like the logical way to reverse a binge calorie-wise, doing so will only destabilize your blood sugar levels more, leaving you feeling drained and moody. Hummus and veggies, broth-based soups, or even a scoop of peanut butter will give your body a chance to get things back to normal.

3. Get off your booty

Sugar

As much as you may want to curl up in your bed and accept your new life in a sugar-induced coma, you will feel so much better if you start moving. Any type of physical activity will help your body use up the blood sugar instead of storing it as fat.

I absolutely do not suggest running a half-marathon or taking an intense cycling class. Simply a walk around town or even dance-cleaning your room should get your blood flowing and body feeling good.

4. Drink, drink and drink some more

Sugar

Photo courtesy of dailymail.co.uk

Green tea with lemon provides many health benefits. Not only will it help ease your tummy ache, but it’ll flush out your system of sugar toxins and other bad junk that is making you feel like a potato. Kombucha or other probiotic drinks are also a great option for getting rid of toxins in your system, but don’t forget to flush out your system with loads of water as well.

In addition to probiotic teas, drink plenty of water. I’m talking like an amount of water Cameron Diaz would be proud of. It might make you feel full, but your body will thank you after all of those bathroom breaks.

5. Plan your next meal

Sugar

Make sure your next meal is high in fiber, low in sugar, low in carbs, and high in protein. It’ll help your body bounce back with some serious food fuel so you can keep kicking butt in your daily activities. Ease up on condiments the next day, because most of them contain hidden high levels of sugar.

6. Skip the guilt trip

Sugar

Go easy on yourself. Eating too much sugar is no reason to give up all hope of living a healthy lifestyle. In fact, binges can be an indicator that you’ve been pushing yourself too hard or restricting yourself too much when it comes to mental and physical health.

Of course you should indulge every now and then. I don’t know about you, but a life without Nutella-stuffed french toast and Choco Tacos is not a life I am interested in.

All good things in moderation, baby.

Sugar

Still not feeling your best? Here are a few tips to love your body a little extra:

1. Take a hot shower with essential oils. The warm scents of the oils get enhanced by the steam, making your tiny shower feel a little more like a spa.
  2. Meditate. There’s a reason yogis and motivational speakers are all so chill. Plenty of research and testimonials back up the mental and physical benefits of meditation, and it’s well worth seeing what the hype is all about. Here‘s a guided meditation to get you started.
  3. Call your mom. Even hearing the voice of one of your friends or family members eases stress levels and tension. Listening to your mom tell you about the new bird feeder she put out in the back yard will be a nice distraction from any sugar-induced nausea.