The undeniable convenience factor of Kraft or Annies or any boxed mac and cheese is enticing. Trust me, I was so thankful for the three second dump of powder that magically turned into a delicious cheese sauce when I had three exams in one week. But, when you have a free moment, read the label on these boxes. Most would be stumped at some of the “ingredients.” 

You should recognize every ingredient in something you put on your plate. 

I follow this rule of thumb. Making food for yourself, this becomes moot. So now, if you’re feeling “Wow, I really want to make my own mac and cheese now,” well, you are in luck! I have the best mac and cheese recipe that I have faithfully followed for years to share with you! 

Gerri Fox

Homemade Mac and Cheese

• 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
  • 1/4 cup ½ stick margarine or butter
  • 1/4 cup all purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 2 cups skim milk
  • 1 bag 8 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
pasta, macaroni, spaghetti, scrambled, cheese, vegetable

Cook elbow macaroni until soft.

pasta, spaghetti, water

While macaroni is cooking, heat ½ stick of butter in another sauce pan slowly over low heat for about 1 minute stirring until melted. Add ¼ cup of flour, ½ teaspoon to salt and ¼ teaspoon of pepper to the butter and stir with wooden spoon. Once mixed, remove from cook top and slowly stir 2 cups of skim milk. Put sauce pan back on burner. Heat until boiling, stirring all the time. Add 8 oz of cheddar cheese until melted.

#cheese, #food, #photography, #foodporn, #cooking, #mealprep, #shreddedcheese
    Yasmeen Aboulhawa

Pour the macaroni into colander over the sink to drain. Put the macaroni back into the pot and add macaroni to cheese mixture. Stir until mixed.

pasta
    Brett Finkelstein

We can all indulge occasionally. But, instead of scrolling while your pasta boils, whip up a cheesy sauce to throw on your pasta once it is done and there you have it! I highly recommend trying this easy and just as delicious (if not more imo) recipe! There are far too many foods that let unnatural ingredients prevail, so make sure to check back for more popular convenience foods that I have a clean and just as good homemade recipe for!