Although it doesn't always feel like it in Florida, it's officially fall! That means pumpkin patches, football season, apple pies, barbecues, camping, and once the weather is cooler: some nice, warm comfort food. When I think of comfort food, I picture irresistibly creamy pasta with rich flavor. This most likely has to do with my obsession with Fettuccine Alfredo growing up; I always ordered it when we went out to eat and incessantly begged my mother to make it for me. 

Rae Gutcheon

Despite its yummy goodness, typical Alfredo sauce (the American way) involves heavy cream, lots of butter, and is served over al dente bands of Fettuccine pasta. For this reason, I wanted to try to make a cleaner, healthier version that satisfies all the creamy cravings but contains more protein and nutrients to fuel your body. This recipe for healthy Fettuccine Alfredo is also easy to follow and relatively quick to make, so it's perfect for busy college students

Prep Time: around 5 minutes

Cooking Time: around 20 minutes

Servings: 2

- 1 package chicken tenderloins

- Avocado oil

- 2 cloves garlic (minced)

- 1 cup milk (this amount may vary depending on how much sauce you would like)

- 1/2 teaspoon (or 1/2 cube) chicken Bouillon

- 1 teaspoon flour

- Optional: olive oil (for the sauce)

- Salt (to taste)

- Pepper (to taste)

- Dried oregano flakes (or Italian seasoning)

- Red pepper flakes (optional)

- 1 tablespoon chopped chives

- 1 box whole wheat or plant-based fettuccine pasta (I used chickpea rotini pasta, but feel free to use fettuccine pasta) 

- 8-10 cups of water (this amount may also vary depending on the desired amount of pasta)

- Vegetable oil

- As much Parmesan cheese as you want!

- 1/2 of a lemon

- Optional: Veggies! I roasted some butternut squash to accompany my pasta but you can also add broccoli, spinach, mushrooms, etc.

Rae Gutcheon

Directions:

1. Make sure to defrost your chicken overnight or at least a few hours before you plan to make this dish.

2. Place a non-stick pan on a burner and set to medium heat. Drizzle avocado oil and wait for it to heat up. 

3. While waiting for the pan and oil to heat up, bring the water for the pasta to a boil in a medium/large pot. Add salt to the water (to taste) and drizzle vegetable oil- this helps to bring out the flavor of the pasta. Boil for about 6 minutes or until the pasta reaches the desired texture. Strain the pasta and set aside.

4. Once the oil in the pan is hot, add the minced garlic. Make sure to stir the garlic (to avoid burning it) until it is golden brown. 

5. Cut the chicken into 1-inch chunks and add it to the pan. Sear and brown the chicken on both sides.

6. Add the milk and chicken bouillon to the pan. Stir occasionally and allow the chicken to cook thoroughly for about 5 minutes.

7. Add a little water to the flour and pour it into the milk to thicken the sauce. Stir and allow it to simmer for a few minutes. If the sauce begins to boil, reduce the heat. 

8. Sprinkle salt, pepper, and oregano to taste and add red pepper flakes if desired. Add olive oil to the sauce to create a more rich flavor and increase the healthy fat content of the dish (this step is optional). Chop the chives and add to the sauce. 

Rae Gutcheon

9. Allow the sauce to simmer for a few more minutes to bring all the flavors together and ensure that the chicken is fully cooked. Add parmesan to the sauce, if desired, and stir. You can add the pasta directly to the sauce or pour it over like I did.  

10. Plate the pasta and squeeze lemon juice onto the pasta. You can sprinkle more parmesan and red pepper flakes on top for extra flavor. Add any roasted veggies (if desired) to take the dish to the next level and load it with more vitamins, nutrients, and protein. 

Rae Gutcheon

Final Fettuccine Thoughts

If you enjoyed this recipe for Healthy Fettuccine Alfredo, be sure to look out for more Healthy(er) Comfort Food recipes from me in the near future. Feel free to play around with the ingredients and add-ins to make this dish your own. And remember, it's okay to crave the real thing - this is just an alternative take on the traditional Alfredo. Part of what makes comfort food special is that it not only fuels the body but also fuels the soul, so make sure you are always giving yourself what you need.