Spring is on the way, and with the turn of the season daydreams of barbecues and beaches start wisping through our minds. Thick slabs of brisket, creamy potato salad and a side of coleslaw piled high on our plates are all enjoyed on a sunny beach, with the sea breeze providing some refreshing respite from the heat.

While dutifully salivating over our spring break wishes, an unwelcome reminder crashes through our consciousness — all that delicious summer fare is going to do a number on that beach-ready body. While there's no way to make brisket into a slimming snack, I've got a healthy coleslaw recipe that'll help keep you trim and fit while chowing down. 

vegetable, red cabbage, radicchio, cabbage
Nadia Doris

Coleslaw is a delicious addition to just about anything — pulled pork tacos, your drunken quesadilla, and literally everything that's been barbecued. The tragedy is that with all the mayonnaise your faux-healthy salad becomes less of a light side dish to more of an artery-clogging nightmare. 

Coleslaw can be a quick and easy venture, but making it healthy is a different story. This recipe takes out the cholesterol-inducing mayo and simple sugars, and takes on a south-of-the-border approach to everyone's favorite summer side dish. This healthy coleslaw recipe uses lime and cilantro to up the flavor, without upping the calories.

Healthy Coleslaw

• Prep Time:1 hr 15 mins
  • Total Time:1 hr 20 mins

• 6 cups thinly sliced cabbage
  • 1 cup peeled and grated carrot
  • 1 cup grated radish
  • 1/3 cup finely cut cilantro
  • 1/3 cup rice vinegar
  • Juice 3 limes
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 thinly sliced jalapeños optional

In a bowl, combine the cabbage, carrot, radish, and jalapeños (if using).

salad, slaw, vegetable, cabbage
    Nadia Doris

In a separate bowl, whisk together the cilantro, rice vinegar, olive oil, lime juice, and salt.

melokhia, water, spinach, vegetable, herb
    Nadia Doris

Pour the dressing mixture over the vegetable mix and toss to combine.

Cover your coleslaw and place it in the fridge for at least an hour and up to one day.

Remove your coleslaw from the fridge and toss again to thoroughly combine. Your healthy coleslaw is all ready to go, eat up!

slaw, red cabbage, coleslaw, beet, lettuce, vegetable, salad, cabbage
    Nadia Doris

#SpoonTip: Add some bell peppers or thinly sliced fennel for a little more variety, or add some diced red onion for more flavorful fare.