Every year when the holidays come around, the line at any Starbucks gets extremely long. Who can resist their seasonal drinks? Keep the holiday spirit going year round with a quick and simple homemade peppermint mocha!

Peppermint Mocha

• 1 cup 2% milk
  • 50 ml chocolate syrup
  • 10 ml vanilla extract
  • 2-4 peppermint candy canes
  • a couple dark chocolate squares
  • an espresso shot or 50 ml brewed dark coffee
Athena Huynh

To make chocolate curls, use a vegetable peeler to make tiny curls from the squares of chocolate. Crush up a candy cane to make course pieces. Prepare a shot of espresso, or brew around 50 ml of dark roast coffee. A Vietnamese-style coffee filter is used here to brew the coffee.

Athena Huynh

Heat a saucepan with milk on medium-low heat. Add in 2-3 candy canes depending on how strong of a peppermint flavour you want. Then add in the vanilla extract and keep stirring to prevent the candy canes from sticking to the bottom of the pot.

Athena Huynh

Once almost all of the candy has been melted, stir in the chocolate syrup.

Athena Huynh

In a mug, add in the prepared espresso shot or brewed coffee. Slowly pour in the heated milk. Top with whipped cream, chocolate curls, and crushed candy canes. Enjoy!

Athena Huynh

A peppermint-flavoured hug in a mug is perfect for a long study session or a treat after a draining shift at work. One problem may be that candy canes can be hard to find after the holiday season. However, you don't have to worry; you can just substitute actual candy canes with a couple drops of peppermint extract.