I think it's safe to say that the majority of the human population enjoys pasta. No matter the shape, size, or color, pasta hits the spot every single time. And what's better than pasta, you might ask? Handmade pasta, of course! Keep reading to learn how to make the most delicious handmade pasta.

Fettuccine with Sage Brown Butter

• Prep Time:1 hr
  • Total Time:1 hr 50 mins
  • Hard

• 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 4 eggs
  • 5 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 1/2 cups cubed butternut squash
  • 5 ounces shiitake mushrooms
  • 3 tablespoons dried sage
  • 1/2 cup butter salted
  • Roughly 20-30 fresh sage leaves
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • Freshly grated parmesan cheese for garnish
Mareesa Ahmad

Pour the flour onto the middle of your working surface (you can use a large cutting board for easier clean-up). If you are putting the flour on your bare countertop, don’t forget to thoroughly clean it. Make a large well in the center of the flour and put the eggs, 3 tablespoons olive oil, 2 tablespoons of dried sage (save the other tablespoon for later) and a few pinches of salt into the middle.

Spoon Tip: I used an olive oil that was infused with mushroom and sage and it made such a huge difference in the taste of the pasta. Regular olive oil will work just fine, but if you can, search for an infused olive oil.

Mareesa Ahmad

Using a fork, whisk the egg mixture and slowly incorporate more and more flour, scraping from the flour wall. (You will not use all of the flour in the dough).

Mareesa Ahmad

Eventually, you’ll notice the mixture will get thicker and thicker until you cannot use your fork any longer. At this point, go in with your hands and start kneading the dough for about 5 minutes. If you notice your dough is still sticky, keep adding a little bit of flour. Once you get a nice dough ball, poke the dough with a finger. If it springs back at you, the dough is ready. Wrap it up in clear plastic wrap and let it vibe out on the side for about 10 minutes.

Spoon Tip: Do not clean the flour off your counter/cutting board just yet, you still need it for later!

Mareesa Ahmad

Unwrap the dough and cut it into 8 pie shaped pieces.

Mareesa Ahmad

Work with one piece at a time and keep the others wrapped in the plastic wrap to keep from drying out. If you do not have a kitchen aid attachment for pasta, use a rolling pin to flatten the dough into a long rectangle (as close as you can). As they say, keep rolling until you are able to read a love letter through it! Or, until you see your fingers behind the dough.

If you do have a kitchen aid, flatten the dough with the attachment on setting 1 about 3-4 times, flouring both sides if it gets sticky. Keep moving through setting 2, 3, and finishing on setting 4.

Spoon Tip: This step is all up to your judgement. If the pasta sheet is sticking to your hands or the machine, flour both sides before flattening through the machine again. If your pasta sheet is lop-sided, fold the sheet into a rectangle and send through the flattening attachment again. In my past experiences with handmade pasta, I usually only do a lot of flouring and folding during setting #1 on the attachment.

Mareesa Ahmad

Replace the flattening attachment with the fettuccine attachment and run the pasta sheets through, one by one to get beautiful long fettuccine noodles. Or, using a paring knife, cut your own fettuccine strips. Be gentle with the noodles, making sure they are floured to prevent sticking or smushing together. Let the noodles rest on the counter or cutting board while you make the sauce.

Mareesa Ahmad

In a medium-large pot, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil on medium heat. Once the oil is hot, sauté the butternut squash with extra tablespoon of dried sage and salt and pepper to taste. Cover with the lid and let cook for about 20 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes.

Add mushrooms and more salt and pepper to taste. If the vegetables are sticking to the bottom, add a bit more olive oil. Cook for another 5-10 minutes and set aside.

Mareesa Ahmad

In a small frying pan, melt butter on low-medium heat. Once melted, add sage leaves and stir for a few seconds. Cook until butter browns and turn off.

Mareesa Ahmad

In a medium pot, get about 4-5 cups of water to a roiling boil. Add half of the noodles into the boiling water and cook for 2-3 minutes. Using tongs, place the cooked noodles into a bowl that has been greased with olive oil. With the remaining boiling water, cook the rest of the noodles.

Mareesa Ahmad

Combine noodles with the butternut squash and mushrooms and toss. Pour the sage brown butter over the top and toss. Garnish with freshly chopped sage and/or freshly grated parmesan cheese.

Mareesa Ahmad

Although making this dish takes a little longer since everything is from scratch, it's totally worth it.

You made fresh pasta and a fancy sage brown butter? Well done, Master Chef. Now, enjoy your handmade pasta!