The easiest way to upgrade Betty Crocker’s bagged cookies is to brown your butter. Brown butter–butter’s nuttier and sophisticated cousin–is pretty simple to make and only involves a saucepan, a whisk and about five minutes of your time. Simply add it or substitute it in any recipe for a deeper flavor. Voila.

1. Cut the butter into smaller pieces. This allows it to melt more quickly and consistently. You can use either unsalted or salted butter.

Photo by Caty Schnack

2. Place the butter in a small saucepan and heat on a stove top over medium heat. Begin whisking.

Photo by Caty Schnack

3. Continue whisking vigorously. The butter will begin to bubble.

Photo by Caty Schnack

4. As you whisk, the butter should get darker in color and and smell a bit nuttier.

Photo by Caty Schnack

5. Once the butter has turned brown, remove it from heat and continue whisking for about 3o seconds. There may be little brown specks at the bottom, this is fine.

Photo by Caty Schnack

6. Transfer the brown butter to a container and use immediately or refrigerate for later. The butter will eventually separate into a darker layer and a foamy layer; if this bothers you, you can skim the foamy layer off with a spoon and discard.