There are some things that are just expected at the Thanksgiving table, from turkey (duh) to cranberry sauce and pumpkin pie. In my humble opinion, green bean casserole undoubtedly belongs on that list. There are tons of new versions available on the internet, from adding pasta to making it completely from scratch. While all of that is fine and dandy, sometimes you just need to grab a can of Campbell's cream of mushroom soup and go to town.  

Classic Green Bean Casserole

• 1 can Campbell's condensed Cream Mushroom Soup
  • 1-6 oz container French's French Fried Onions
  • 1/2 cup half & half
  • 4 cups fresh green beans
  • salt
  • pepper
vegetable, meat, rice, chicken, seafood, sauce
Morgan Nielsen

Preheat oven to 375°F.

In a large bowl, mix the condensed soup and the half & half. Feel free to use another type of milk or dairy alternative, but just know that you may be sacrificing some of the creaminess of the final product.

cream, dairy product, milk, yogurt, soup, vegetable, garlic sauce
    Morgan Nielsen

Cut the green beans into 1-inch pieces and immerse in boiling water for 4-5 minutes until bright green and tender.

#SpoonTip: Make this recipe even faster by buying a steam-in-bag package of green beans. Steam 'em first, and chop into pieces after they've cooled.

vegetable, legume, asparagus, chili, pea, salad, french beans
    Morgan Nielsen

Mix the green beans into the soup/milk mixture, and add salt and pepper to taste.

vegetable
    Morgan Nielsen

Mix about half of the fried onions into the mixture. Don't skimp on this step, there's a reason we got the big container of them.

rice, vegetable, pasta
    Morgan Nielsen

Transfer the mixture into an oven-safe casserole dish, and top with more onions.

vegetable, pasta, sauce, seafood, meat
    Morgan Nielsen

Bake for 20 minutes. Let cool and enjoy!

shrimp, sauce, chicken
    Morgan Nielsen

Next time you need something to bring to Friendsgiving, remember this classic and easy dish. No frills or complicated steps, green bean casserole is super cheap and super delicious. Sure, there's nothing wrong with pumpkin butter pecan gingersnap rolls, but few things can stand up against some old-fashioned comfort food.