Granola — a word for both a delicious grain-based snack and lovers of earthy living. The snack version of granola is always relevant because it's delicious and works well plain or with milk, as a midnight snack or a great breakfast. It transcends a stratified meal category, and is actually super easy to make. Within 10 minutes, you'll have your own granola batch ready to go. Within 40 minutes, your kitchen will be smelling heavenly and your stomach will be filled. 

This recipe is so easy and flexible, it's gotten to the point where I don't really measure anything and just hope for the best, which it inevitably ends up being. It's really hard to mess this one up. This will definitely become your go-to recipe for a versatile and quick snack. Here is the basic recipe that you can customize with whatever you have on hand:

Easy Granola

• 3 cups rolled oats
  • 3/4 cup pecan pieces
  • 1/4 cup almond slivers
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 1/4 cup maple syrup
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/4 cup coconut oil melted
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 bag Trader Joe's roasted coconut chips
  • 3/4 cup dried cranberries
Joyce Yao

Preheat the oven to 300°F and get a cookie sheet out. I typically never line my cookie sheet, but it might be a good idea to use parchment paper just in case.

Add the rolled oats to a medium-sized bowl (make sure they're rolled oats and not quick-cook or steel-cut oats).

cereal, wheat, oatmeal, corn, rice, porridge, oat, wheat flake, bran
    Joyce Yao

Add the nuts. Choose whatever nuts you like! Almonds, walnuts, pecans, pistachios— Go nuts! (sorry). If your nuts are already toasted, be sure to leave them out until the granola is done baking.

bacon
    Joyce Yao

Add the sweeteners. This gives the granola that sweet taste (duh), along with texture. You can also toss in the 1 teaspoon of cinnamon at this point.

beer
    Joyce Yao

Add in the melted coconut oil.

cereal, corn, wheat, oatmeal, porridge, granola, muesli, oat
    Joyce Yao

Don't forget to add the salt! Like all avid bakers know, salt is important for enhancing a dessert's sweetness.

salt, flour
    Joyce Yao

Throw in any other add-ins you'd like. If you're using dried fruit, I suggest adding them at the end (when there's about 5 minutes left of baking).

candy
    Joyce Yao

Bake for 20 minutes, stir, then bake until brown, about another 20 minutes.

cereal, corn, wheat, granola, muesli, oat, oatmeal, wheat flake
    Joyce Yao

This granola recipe isn't like most things you'll bake. It doesn't require intense, meticulous measuring or any form of finesse. Just be on your Remy game ("Ratatouille," anyone?) and toss those ingredients in like you know what you're doing. Follow the loose measurements, but more so the granola chef in you. Have fun, and eat well.

chocolate, cereal
Joyce Yao

If you're interested in a more solid, portable form of granola (aka a granola bar) check out how to make your own here