Pumpkin is the flavor of fall in the US. It’s everywhere this time of year, from the famed Pumpkin Spice Latte to decadent pies, cookies, pastries and any other creations that stores (see: Trader Joe’s) can dream up. This sweet pumpkin craze is well-founded—after all, it’s hard to beat the warm, comforting aroma of a pumpkin-filled treat on a chilly day. 

Why should our pumpkin obsession end with desserts? Although overlooked, pumpkin is a versatile ingredient in savory recipes. With its creamy texture and earthy flavor, pumpkin easily becomes the star of curries, pastas, soups and more. This fall, go beyond desserts and discover the savory side of pumpkin with these 10 recipes. 

1. Quick Pumpkin-Sage Pasta

This fancy-sounding pasta dish is unbelievably quick to make. Filled with creamy pumpkin purée, autumn spices and a hint of warming sage and oregano, it's the perfect dinner for a chilly October night.

2. Spicy Pumpkin Soup

cream, soup, bread, sweet
Kendra Valkema

This effortless slow cooker soup is hearty, creamy and full of pumpkin flavor. Red pepper, curry powder, coriander and cayenne give it a serious, spicy kick. It will (literally) warm you from the inside out. 

3. Slow Cooker Black Bean Pumpkin Turkey Chili

This unconventional chili is bursting with healthy protein and veggies, warming spices and lots of pumpkin. With a hint of sweet maple syrup and spicy jalapeno thrown in the mix, this chili is a total autumn win. 

4. Pumpkin Curry With Chickpeas

This warming curry combines sweet coconut milk with bright lemongrass, spicy yellow curry paste, hearty chickpeas and, of course, pumpkin. The recipe calls for chunks of fresh, non-canned pumpkin, which is way easier to cook with than you think!

5. Savory Pumpkin Pizza

Why not eat savory pumpkin sauce on a pizza crust? Topped with caramelized onions, arugula, havarti, and parmesan, this cheesy, sweet and salty pie is a pumpkin- and pizza-lover's dream.

6. Maple, Bacon and Pumpkin Tart

This easy but sophisticated tart is an ideal fall brunch dish. With layers of buttery puff pastry, crispy bacon and roasted, mashed pumpkin, it's an indulgent treat you won't be able to resist.

7. Pumpkin Glazed Turkey Legs

Nothing screams fall more than pumpkin and turkey. Why not combine the two? These unconventional turkey legs are dripping with a thick, pumpkin glaze flavored with other fall staples, like apple cider and maple syrup.

8. Savory Pumpkin Scones with Gruyère and Sage

These savory pumpkin scones are rich, buttery and overflowing with melty Gruyère cheese. Best enjoyed hot from the oven, they're perfect for a fall brunch, snack...or dinner, for that matter (who says you can't eat pastries for dinner?).

9. Spicy Black Bean Chicken Enchiladas with Pumpkin Sour Cream Sauce

Although non-traditional, these hearty enchiladas are an irresistible fall comfort food. Healthy beans, chicken and corn tortillas come to life with a creamy, spicy pumpkin sauce and plenty of gooey cheese.

10. Pumpkin Gnocchi

cookie, ravioli, pastry, sweet, candy
Caty Schnack

This impressive-looking gnocchi actually contains just three ingredients. Served with brown butter and sage, this warming dish will wow your friends and warm you up on the gloomiest of fall nights.

No offense to sweet pumpkin treats, but these savory pumpkin recipes offer some serious competition. This year, give pumpkin's savory side a chance—I promise that you and your taste buds won't be disappointed.