Pesto is an Italian favorite. It rivals traditional tomato sauce in flavor and freshness. This easy walnut pesto only has five ingredients, making it a staple for my weekday dinners. While traditional pesto is made from toasted pine nuts, I prefer to use a mix of raw pine nuts and walnuts. Walnuts give a hearty, earthy taste to this classic. Just toss the pasta in this luscious sauce and serve! 

It's the perfect dish for when you want pasta without the heaviness. You can also use it on salads, or sandwiches for a fresh twist on your favorite lunch.

Walnut Pesto

• Cook Time:0

• 4 cups fresh basil leaves
  • 1/4 cup pine nuts
  • 1/4 cup walnuts
  • 1 - 1 1/2 cups olive oil
  • 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
  • salt pepper and red pepper flakes to taste
Molly Prosser

Place pine nuts and walnuts in blender or food processor and pulse until finely chopped. This should look almost like sand.

Molly Prosser

Add in about 1/4 of the olive oil and a handful of basil. Blend. Repeat until smooth.

Molly Prosser

Add Parmesan, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Blend until smooth. And that's it: easy walnut pesto.

Molly Prosser

And there you have it! Feel free to add more spices to experiment with different flavor profiles. This easy walnut pesto will be your saving grace in the kitchen. Blend up, spread on, and have a happy stomach all year round.