Need some warm comfort food as the seasons change? Pesto pasta is one of my go-to recipes for a quick and easy meal, but I wanted to switch it up by adding in some fun protein and seasonal veggies. You can also make this meal using rice instead of pasta (rice pilaf or wild rice is my favorite) and whatever vegetables you have on hand!

In the below recipe I used Alpha Food’s Chicken Patties which is a really good brand for vegan “chicken” alternatives, I also have tried their chicken nuggets and would recommend. If you’re out of vegan chicken, use tofu and bread or bake it like in this baked tofu recipe.  For the base, I used white rice (because I was out of brown) but any rice or pasta like angel hair or bow ties will do the trick. For veggies, I used tomatoes, eggplant, and garlic scapes. Other great vegetable combos include peppers, tomatoes, and onions or try asparagus, beets, and broccoli! The pesto was homemade, so check out this recipe if you want to make your own as well. 

Vegan Pesto “Chicken” Bowl

• 2 vegan “chicken” patties
  • 2 cups rice or pasta
  • 2 tablespoons pesto
  • 2 cups assorted vegetables
  • Salt and nutritional yeast for topping
Mackenzie Laverick

Prepare rice or pasta by boiling water and cooking as instructed.

rice, cereal, risotto

Prep all of the veggies by slicing to desired thickeners and place on a baking sheet with two vegan chicken patties or ten vegan chicken nuggets. Bake for 20 minutes at 375˚F or whatever instructions are on the vegan chicken.

Mackenzie Laverick

Plate all of the ingredients and top with a tablespoon of pesto and a dash of salt and nutritional yeast. Enjoy!

herb, basil, olive oil, vegetable, oil