Think tofu is just bland and mushy? Even my meat loving little brother begs me to make him this baked tofu recipe and downs it faster than I can keep up. If you have the willpower not to eat this savory tofu straight out of the oven, it's great in a buddha bowl, on a salad, or as an easy meat replacement in any of your favorite dishes. The ingredients you need are few and simple, so feel free to flavor this baked tofu however you want. 

Savory Baked Tofu

• 1 block firm tofu
  • 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  • Garlic powder
Sarah Dale

Preheat oven to 350ºF.

Drain the tofu and cover with many layers of paper towels, a flat surface like a cutting board, and something heavy. I usually use a case of canned goods. The goal is to have even distribution of weight over the tofu. Leave the tofu to continue draining for 15-20 minutes.

Sarah Dale

Cube the tofu.

Sarah Dale

Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spread tofu cubes on the tray. Drizzle with oil, then season with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Toss with your hands to get the oil and seasoning evenly distributed.

Sarah Dale

Bake on the top rack for 30 minutes, tossing the tofu again after 15 minutes. Cubes should be golden brown but still soft on the inside. Enjoy!

Sarah Dale

No matter if you're vegan, vegetarian, or eat anything under the sun, give this baked tofu recipe a go, especially if you're looking for quick, easy protein on a budget. Since tofu is the chicken of the meat-free world, the options are just as endless! You can season these guys however you want or stick to the basics. Hope you enjoy!