Let's be honest: everyone has days where they're on the run nonstop. When this happens, it's inevitable that you don't have time to stop for meals in between constant activity. This recipe, curated by my mom and me, can substitute a meal while still managing to leave you feeling fueled for hours. Here's an added bonus: they're gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan, and take no more than 5 minutes to make (and no oven or stove is required). 

Different variations exist all over the internet, some containing tahini chocolate chips or Rice Krispies, and others substituting peanut butter for almond butter. After much experimentation, I decided that this recipe is my favorite combination. The creamy almond butter does an excellent job of complimenting the subtlety of the oats and unsweetened coconut. With that being said, enjoy this recipe for the best nutty, gooey, sweet protein balls. 

Nutty Oat Protein Balls

• Cook Time:0

• 2 cups instant oats
  • About 10 tablespoons almond butter
  • About 1/4 cup honey
  • 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
  • Optional- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut
  • Optional- 1/4 cup flaxseed
Avery Paulen

Measure 2 cups of rolled oats and pour into a medium-sized/large mixing bowl.

Avery Paulen

(Optional) add 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut and flaxseed. Mix.

Avery Paulen

Add the almond butter and mix with the oats. The recommended starting point is 10 tablespoons, but you can add more if needed until the oats are bound with the almond butter and you start to see balls forming.

Avery Paulen

Add the honey as an additional binding agent. The recommended starting point is 1/4 cup, but add more if needed until everything starts to stick together.

sweet

Add the dark chocolate chips and mix.

Avery Paulen

Roll into balls using your hands. The recipe should yield 10-12 balls. Place in container and seal top. Store in refrigerator. Let harden for 15-30 minutes before eating.

Avery Paulen

And that's it! It's really that simple. This recipe requires a lot of trial and error, especially when it comes to creating the right ratio of almond butter and honey to the dry ingredients. The more patience you have, the better they will turn out.

Whether you're running to school, work, or the gym, these nutty sensations are sure to have you fueled for the long day ahead. Enjoy!